ZDMC and CIH screen

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by skank, Dec 30, 2017.

1. skank

skank Member Beta test group

i got a question for zidoo :)
    i just upgraded my screen to 2:39 version
    so no more 16:9 for me

however
    kodi only has 1 skin "scopenox" that doest this right
    my projector is a 16:9 projector, not a 2.39 one
    so i use zoom to fill my screen

so i need a skin like scopenox
    so far so good on zidoo X9S
    all works

except one thing
    once the movie starts... the skin has the option to mask top and bottom bars
    see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229199

however since zdmc uses an external player , that option isnt there

my questions is, is it possible to add this in zdmc please? that would rock !

2. n_p

n_p Active Member

If you use the settings button on top of the vieo file you have selected, you can choose the player player (external or internal (called DVDPlayer)) ZDMC will play the file with.

You also can install Kodi (not sure if auto framerate switching already works) on the X9S, no problems whatsoever.

Otherwise, you probably are out of luck, simple because the number of people using 2.39 screens is quite small, so the likelyhood for Zidoo to optimize for it in the player design stages is small.

That said, I would expect the TV to be able to "accompany your needs", the designers of the TV had to know, that most source devices would supply a 16:9 (with bars) image, and should have thought about zoom and scaling modes more, than Zidoo. :)

3. skank

Internal player doesnt do 3d
    Its not a tv, its a projector.
    I can always ask zidoo, it would be a plus for those with a widescreen

4. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

The solution must be in your projector setting, no cable box, satellite, blu-ray player or android box offer setting for 2:39. This is not standart stuff.

5. skank

Not one projector has that.
    Its far more easier to implement this in the player.

I dont know for sure, but can you zoom with zdmc player? (in and out, like kodi can?)

6. n_p

n_p Active Member

God - dealing with people who cant take educated opinions...

Its the g*d damn projectors or TVs responsibility to offer all the crop functions needed, if it ships/sells in a non standard - for consumer delivery - format (ie. 2.39).

If it doesnt - its crap, and you bought the wrong projector or TV.

What the projector in your case presumably does, is to zoom, based on the content on screen, without stretching, and without "zooming out/scaling away" black bars. The reason for that is, that not all films are in a 2.39 aspect ratio either, and it is a compromise, just the same way 16:9 is a compromise - its just - that 2.39 is a way WORSE compromise (if you ever plan on watching 16:9 or 4:3 content).. ;)

What real projctor enthusiasts do in your case, is masking the frame - that is, telling the projector what aspect ratio the film is in, and then have the projector mask out the black bars. Or they put up projection screens that can be set up for variable masking, so the projected black bars would be projcted on a non reflective surface and therefore vanish. Your projector/screen setup cant do that? Too bad.

What you now do instead - is using Kodis custom zoom, or "fit to screen" feature , to stretch (or zoom) the content, getting rid of the black bars - but getting rid of content at the same time.

Custom zoom, or fit to screen is not a "feature" that any normal user would ask for, and its more than understandable - that zidoo would not bother implementing it in their own player - as "ease of use" to them and their democraphic is far more important than "you being able to use custom zoom". Your problem is an edge case, your projector is less capable than it probably should be. Zidoo is very unlikely to optimize for what you'd need, be happy that Kodi serves your needs. :)

(And stop watching 3D movies.. ;) )

I hope I've understood your "issue" correctly. :)

(It's not that I wouldnt like better/more granular zoom options either - its just, that I understand - that this doesnt range anywhere close the top of Zidoos priority charts, and actually would conflict with "ease of use", which may be more important to them and most of their audience than to cater to my and your needs.)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. skank

Excuse me?
    Dont like the tone in your first sentence..
    You dont even know me..
    Whoevers responsibility it is...
    I just ask if zidoo could do it.
    Nor is it your right to tell zidoo if they should or not.
    I just ask if they could implement it? Let them decide...
    If they could.. Some prople would sure benefit from it.
    Dont be that egoistic cause you dont need it. Again let them decide
    Thank you

Cemo likes this.