Z9X Pro - Mysteries of Mac Connectivity

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Menu-Mangle, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Menu-Mangle

Menu-Mangle New Member

I have a new Z9X Pro connected an 8TB HD by USB.
    I have multiple Macs of various types, all with wireless and Bluetooth, all on the same local (wireless) network as the Zidoo.

- I cannot get any Mac to pair reliably via Bluetooth with ‘Realtek Bluetooth’ (the Zidoo).
    Macs 3m away in the same room don’t maintain connection. The other way around, the Zidoo “Search[es] for Accessories…” endlessly, finding nothing.
    - I can enable AirPlay on the Zidoo, and I can get an iPad to appear as if it’s casting a movie stream (from the BFI Player app) to the Zidoo. However, all that reaches the Zidoo is the movie sound. The Zidoo screen shows the correct movie title in plain text and a generic ‘disc’ icon for "AAC 2ch..." sound, but no moving image.
    The same iPad will seamlessly cast the same movie from the same BFI app to the same TV via AirPlay... via a 5-year old plug-in Roku stick: an outcome that worked so quickly I can't even remember how it occurred.
    - From a Mac on the same local network, I cannot find the Zidoo via the recommended ‘browser>IP address’ method; I just get “unable to connect…” in the browser window.
    - Via Zidoo>Media Centre>SMB I can see various Macs by name on the network, but when I try to log on to them I just get ‘incorrect username/password’ warnings. despite entering correct names/passwords.

Obviously, without basic connectivity I can’t do many other things.

Questions:
    Am I missing something fundamental here, maybe to do with exposing the Zidoo correctly to the network, or to Bluetooth?
    Does the Zidoo just not work with Macs?