Z9X LPCM 5.1 MKV Bug

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Pete B, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Pete B

Pete B Member

I've noticed a bug on MKVs created from 2 Blu-ray audio discs.

Gentle Giant: Free Hand: https://www.amazon.com/Free-Hand-5-1-Steven-Wilson/dp/B093K85H88/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1HNF93H29LUY5&keywords=gentle+giant+free+hand&qid=1693773812&sprefix=gentle+giant+free+ha,aps,311&sr=8-1

Gentle Giant: Interview: https://www.amazon.com/Interview-Steven-Wilson-Remix-CD-Blu-ray/dp/B0C1KSJ6C8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=26IQIQHRPUQAI&keywords=gentle+giant+interview&qid=1693773826&sprefix=gentle+giant+intervi,aps,278&sr=8-1

If any of you have these BD's you'll know that there's some cool video content which is why I've kept the MKVs and not just FLACs extracted from the MKVs (+ there's an Atmos mix).

The Z9X intermittently reports the LPCM 5.1 stream as "LPCM" or sometimes "undefined" and the surround mix is all messed up with some channels pretty much dead. FLAC's extracted from the LPCM stream play correctly. MKVs played on a Sony X800 play the LPCM stream correctly.

Thankfully, there is a DTS-MA 5.1 stream too which plays correctly on the Z9X along with the Atmos stream. It's just the LPCM stream that misbehaves. I haven't noticed this on MKVs I've ripped from the handful of BD movies I have with a PCM 5.1 audio track, so I'm guessing that it's something to do with the authoring of these 2 Gentle Giant BDs that the Z9X doesn't like.

Just wanted to note it here as it's a weird one.

2. Pete B

Pete B Member

I tried a couple of BD movies with PCM 5.1 audio last night (There Will Be Blood/Dark Water (the remake)) and can confirm that this appears to be a bug with them also - it's not just how the Gentle Giant BD's were authored. The surround channels drop in and out (left surround seems particularly dead) and the audio stream is reported as "LPCM" or sometimes "undefined". Switch to the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio stream in the MKV though and all plays correctly. Luckily, there are only a few BD MKV's with PCM 5.1 mixes. Yet another bug though.