Z2000 with JVC RS-1100 (NP5)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by jt5298, Jan 8, 2024.

1. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Hello,

I ordered a Zidoo Z2000 to go with my JVC RS-1100 projector. Just wondering if anyone has a newer JVC projector and could share some of their settings.

The JVC has probably the best tone mapping of most projectors out there. I am curious what people set the Zidoo to perform as far as tone mapping. I would think it would be best to just send the unaltered movie file to the JVC and let it do the processing. However, I have never used a Zidoo so I don't know what it is capable of.
    I don't know of any projector that can play Dolby Vision so just HDR10 gets processed in my JVC. Intereseted to see how the VS10 engine works with projectors.

Thanks.

2. Azrael

Azrael Member

I have a DLA_RS2000, aka N7 or NX7 i have mine with Theater Optimizer mode on with Frame Adapt HDR, i just turn in Zidoo VS10 on and it converts everything to HDR10, i think it improved the image.
    I never saw something like a Lumagen processor in action so i don't know if it's that level of quality but i saw a nice improvement the image seems more balanced now.

3. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Thanks! I will try it out and see what I think.

4. Azrael

Azrael Member

Just leave it on auto, you will receive everything as native, only Dolby Vision will be translated to HDR10 and fed to the projector.

5. khan95osu

khan95osu New Member

I leave it on vs10 HDR full time with my RS1100/NP5.
    I prefer it that way.

6. Azrael

Azrael Member

righ on 1.0.75 Auto changed, so now i have to turn VS10 for everything.

i know it's a Dolby thing but i prefered the way Auto worked on 1.0.52 that if it read DV content on a only HDR10 device it would turn VS10 on, SDR and HDR10 would be untouched.

7. jt5298

jt5298 Member

What does the image look like compared to say a Panasonic UB820(if you have one) for HDR or for streaming content?
    What type and size screen do you have? I'm guessing you are using the Theater Optimizer and Frame Adapt HDR. What quantizer are you using Auto Normal, Auto Wide?
    Just wondering how the VS10 engine looks compared to just using auto and feeding the projector a DV movie and have the projector tone map HDR10.
    I still haven't got my Z2000 hooked up completely yet.

8. khan95osu

khan95osu New Member

I had a Panasonic 400 series Blu-ray player but I got rid of it before I got the JVC so I can’t really say, and even then I only had it for a very short amount of time.
    I change auto wide and auto normal just depending on the content. Usually I prefer auto normal, but sometimes I want the brightness of auto wide, but I feel like the colors don’t have as much depth when it’s wide mode, sometimes

I set up Shortcuts on myself of baton, so I can easily flip through -1/0/1/2.

My previous projector was an Epson 5050, and I didn’t have the zidoo with that. All I know is I play a movie with the VS 10 through the JVC and even my wife comments on how much better the picture looks and how much nicer the colors are. The good chunk of that is just the JVC versus Epson, but I prefer watching movies through the zidoo versus Apple TV for sure.

9. jt5298

jt5298 Member

It seems the consensous with many projectors, JVC included that many prefer the VS10 engine. I just want the most pure image to be sent to the JVC and have it do the tone mapping for HDR.
    If I'm watching a 1080p Blu-ray I think from what I've read the Zidoo does a great job upscaling to 4K. The panasonic 820 does a great job too. I don't think I'm interested in upscaling SDR to HDR using the VS10 engine, but I could give it a try.

What size screen and gain do you have? I have a Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 140" diagonal 2.40:1 screen. I had my projector professionally calibrated by Kris Deering. I'm at only 86nits in high lamp for HDR so I'm not getting as much light as I would like so I mostly use auto wide. The fan noise is a little distracting on some quiet movies in high lamp. I haven't tried using low lamp yet, but I think the light output would be too low. Some people do use low lamp for HDR because of the excellent tone mapping of the JVC, but my guess is they have smaller screens than mine.

10. khan95osu

khan95osu New Member

I used to care more about pure and directors intent but the reality is, unless I’m talking directly to the Director or cinematographer I don’t really know what they’re actual intent is.

now I just want something that looks visually good to my eyes :)

I have a 131 inch 2.35:1 screen so it’s 10 feet wide. I use a spandex screen so it’s probably .7 gain and I actually run my projector and low lamp mode; when I pull the blackout curtains it puts out plenty of light for me.

I don’t have 100% light controlled room however, all the lights are always off when I watch a movie. There is some light that filters down the stairwell during daytime but at night time it’s pretty dark. I do have a white ceiling though.

overall I thought I would be asking for more light output, but honestly, I even forget that I have it in low power mode. I generally don’t end up in HDR 2, I think it raises my black level is little too much.

overall just try it out I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the image from the VS 10. The HDR tone mapping by the JVC is pretty excellent and just one of the main reasons I got the JVC.

I actually run my signal through an HTPC with MadVR but I don’t do any tone napping in madVR anymore and now I use it only for automatic aspect ratio switching.

the combination of the Zidoo and JVC negate any need for MadVR tone mapping for me.

11. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Interesting about MadVR. I thought their tone mapping solution was superior to the JVC. Similar to a Lumagen.
    I will play around with the settings and see what I like.

12. jt5298

jt5298 Member

I understand what you are saying about directors intent vs. what you see and like in an image.

My point is that my projector is professionally calibrated to look exactly like what it is supposed to look like. Gamma, brightness, contrast, color profile, etc. When I watch a movie I know that the way it looks is exactly what it should look like. Contrast is not blown out, colors are not off (too much red, green) Black level is set correctly.

Too many people buy a TV from a Costco, or BestBuy and the way it is set in the show room is completely off from what it should look like. They watch it that way because they don't know any better. They think it looks good to them, but in reality it isn't correct. Now, I'm not saying you are one of these people, and you do not know what an image should look like. You have your projector set the way you like it. Which in the end is all that really matters.

I just want the best and closest picture to what my Panasonic player will produce when I watch a movie on disc. It looks phenomenal to me whether I watch a 1080p Blu-ray or UHD disc. I don't want the Zidoo to alter the color, brightness, contrast, anything. I just want to play my ripped BDMV file to my projector without any manipulation to the picture.

If using the VS10 engine changes anything then I probably won't want to use it. Unless the picture is substantially improved in maybe overall brightness without sacrificing black level. If the colors are too saturated I may not like it.

I still haven't tried playing around with the settings yet. I just finally got my hard drive formatted, that took forever! Still trying to sort out subtitle settings right now.

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

I have tried to find info on VS10, sadly did not find anything the explains it, i suspect it that (Dolby being Dolby) it does not alter anything, it just translates the HDR information from the best protocol in the media DV for example to something that the EDID your screen/projector tell's it capable of.

14. jt5298

jt5298 Member

I will play with it and see what it looks like.

Can you help me with subtitles since you have a projector, not sure what AR screen you have though.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/help-understanding-subtitles.97664/ This is my thread explaining my question.

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

Sorry, my screen is 16:9, so i get black bars, not sure where on the zidoo we can configure subs position

16. jt5298

jt5298 Member

If you click on the menu button on the bottom right I believe, next to the OK button it will bring up subtitles. You can then position them where you want, basically just up or down. You can also change the font, size, color. Pretty cool, I just can't figure out how to display them correctly when watching a movie with a foreign language.