X 10 does not req fan on

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by DELUCAS, Nov 17, 2017.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Im guessing since the X9s does not have a fan installed in the box and uses heat dissapation etc to cool itself
    And the X10 uses the same motherboard albeit a bigger enclosure ....
    Am i correct using a SSD drive which it seems does not add any additional heat as such to the equation
    I dont req the fan to be on .

Ive never had it on since ive added drive and not had any issues .

Any thoughts ?

2. Andydigital

Andydigital Member

I had a normal HDD in mine for months with the fan off and had no problems. Mine is only switched on while watching movies though, its not on 24/7 like my NAS is.

3. DELUCAS

My unit is just powered on for Movie watching etc and after that its powered off .
    Transfered movies from laptop to ssd drive took 6 plus hours and noted the ssd did not get warm at all so did not req my Digital temp sensor on it .
    So guessed the X10 would not req fan on ever .

Just wanted to be double sure .

Thanks for input Andydigital

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

SSD's can get hot, not as much as a HDD, but a HDD will definitely get hot, fan is there for a reason . if you want to rune with fan off it;s up to you, you won't see problems running movie because that's not how heat works, but a HDD running at 30+ degrees will likely die faster than one running at 25

5. Andydigital

Andydigital Member

All my NAS drives are 32 to 34 degrees and have been for 4 years, even with a fan on, gotta love WD Reds. The aluminium case on the X10 should be enough cooling for fairly cool climates like the UK. For an SSD it's just not an issue.

6. DELUCAS

Just a note my SSD drive is fitted with a 3.5 inch caddy made of fireproof ABS Plastic designed 1125SS is good at heat Dissipation .
    And with vented fins etc
    In 6.5 hours of being written to albeit out in the open air it did not even get warm to the touch and id say temp as if it was not being used .
    Besides if it fails i have a 5 yr gtee