wireless speakers

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Chasworks, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Chasworks

Chasworks New Member

Is it possible to connect Eversolo to wireless speakers over a home network? As far as I can tell from internet searches Eversolo can't connect directly to Sonos speakers, but how about, for example, KEF or Bose?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Nope, AFAICT, as the DMP-A6 does not stream over the LAN (as may the KEFs want), nor implements some manufacturer-specific protocol, such as the Sonos one.
    I think there is a device (specific to KEF? cannot say), though, to which you connect to with ordinary single-ended RCA (maybe also balanced XLR? not sure), that will then send the audio wirelessly to the KEFs using the relevant, lossless wireless protocol (of which I cannot remember the name, but maybe you already know what I am talking about...)

I heard all this in a video on YouTube by John Darko about some KEF active speakers (also their model I forgot, but you can browse his channel and figure it out, they also have a DAC, and I believe can do DSP / room correction etc. etc.)
    If your KEFs are something in the line, this could be the solution.

BTW, I'd stay away from Bose stuff, considering the good quality of the A6's DAC and the - generally - poor and overpriced Bose performance...

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al.

3. Chasworks

Chasworks New Member

Thanks Al, that's very helpful.

I was thinking of switching to KEF. I already have some Sonos speakers dotted about the house. They're connected to my main sound system via a Sonos Connect box. When I listen to music carefully in the evening I use the Tidal app, which shows Eversolo as an option. Eversolo is connected to my main sound system via the Digital Out output. The sound quality is excellent. Sonos is bypassed.

During the day I use Tidal directed to the Sonos system so there's music in the other rooms. The sound quality on my main system is worse when I do that. I guess Sonos is bypassing Eversolo and taking its signal direct from my modem rather than via Eversolo. Does that make sense? If so, is there anything I can do about it? In other words, can I direct the signal modem > Eversolo > Sonos? Seems unlikely but I thought I'd ask!

Cheers, Charles

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I think not; that is, probably the Tidal app can see either the Sonos or the Eversolo as an endpoint. Definitely the quality of the Sonos system's DAC is far inferior to that of the A6... You cannot route the audio from the A6 to the Sonos because it does not re-stream; and anyway, the sound quality would be exactly the same, as the final renderer will in any case be the Sonos system (either requiring some lossy format to be sent to it, or resampling itself...)
    I think the only alternative is to go KEF, although you may want to carefully investigate the scenario I was describing; as I said: I don't know the details, and it may not work as "we" are wondering here... but, what I seem to remember is that the wireless thing about the KEFs was indeed the "last meter". It could also be model-dependent, so maybe not compliant to the KEFs you already own...

5. Chasworks

Chasworks New Member

Thanks, that's very helpful. One less thing to think about!