Which stream player.....

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by Ayokoya, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

First of all, the recent FW release enables us to choose between Nuplayer and Native player, so far I have not been enable to tell the difference between them, they both cannot play DIVX videos. I just installed mxplayer, but there is no prompt on choosing which player to use for that video. Whats the procedure to enable the prompt to choose which player, and is it possible to add another player to the option in the stream player quick setting menu?

Thanks

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

+1
    But also in Zidoo Media Center, not only in ZDMC, please!!!

3. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

Thanks, ZDMC do play divx video. Unless there is a way to bypass the steps of add folder to playlist before one can play the video, its a turn off for me to deal with close to 20 USB hard drives with so many folders that periodically get sorted and reorganized. Reason why I love the zidoo product so much is that all I have to do is to switch on the power for the particular USB HDD attached to the USB hub with power switch, easy navigation to the folder and play, simple as that, no playlist to add or maintain.

4. PacoRabanne

I don't understand whta you mean: ZDMC plays DiVX video? How? Choosing interna ZDMC player instead of external (Native o Nuplayer that also you say are not able to handle DiVX)?

5. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

I have no idea ....both native and nuplayer say "can't play video", I thought your reply was to try and play it within ZDMC, and to my surprise it does.

ZDMC is 17.4, the video info is.....

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : DX50
    Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
    Duration : 3 min 47 s
    Bit rate : 5 008 kb/s
    Nominal bit rate : 9 708 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 416 pixels

I would be mighty happy if you see something in the video property that both native & nuplayer should play it and can be fix with a FW update.

I am not a big fan of Kodi/ZDMC, so I didn't learn to become an expert in using it. May be some settings in the default happens to match the requirement to play that video, but the default setting is to use external player.....I am getting a headache.......

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. PacoRabanne

I suppose you have your ZDMC settled to use internal player instead of external.
    In Kodi,, from which ZDMC is derived, internal player is something like "dvdplayer" app.
    One of the modification from Kodi to ZDMC is the possibility to use an external player, but currently (AFAIK) is non configurable as you like, but only between Zidoo player (the same as Media Center uses) and NuPlayer (an open source one that seems better handling streaming).
    I suppose the Kodi/ZDMC "native" , I think DVDPlayer, will handle DivX 5 format.
    Anyway I found a workaround, changing FourCC bits to XviD, and the exact same file will be played perfectly also by Zidoo player.

7. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

Thanks, but the setting is for external player, thats why I am having a headache! Anyway, I don't have a video editor, and way way too many files to identify and change. My H6 Pro can play DIVX, so the current thinking to solve this is to connect a short USB3.0 extension cable to each of the boxes, X9S and H6 Pro, if the X9S cannot play the video, I'll just connect the USB hub with the whole set of USB HDDs to the H6 Pro. If the cables get worn out through all those connection/disconnection, they can be replace with a few bucks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  8. PacoRabanne

I don't use a video editor, too much complicated!
    I've found a "batch" modifier, made just for this problem, called Lupos FourCC.
    https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/fourcc-changer/
    https://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=10726.0
    Old but works like a charm!
    P.S. If I remember right, in KODI/ZDMC, holding OK button on remote brings to a menu where you can choose which player to use, so you should be able to play a video with DVDPlayer.
    P.P.S. I don't use ZDMC nor KODI, too slow and cumbersome to play the way I like, so not sure about... sorry!

9. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

Thanks Paco!!!

Now I understand why even with the setting for external player works with ZDMC 17.4, because internal and external player points to the same two options, when I long press ok to play the video, player option is videoplayer as default, or zidoo player. Chose zidoo player gave me the can't play error, videoplayer works and I think the videoplayer is the same app that comes with every android OS.

10. PacoRabanne

You're welcome!
    No, videoplayer is the player "embedded" (better "included") in KODI and then in ZDMC.
    Except for Zidoo modification (of course!) you can learn a lot about ZDMC looking for KODI Wiki and/or relevant documentation.
    Unluckily some Zidoo modification change the way ZDMC works compared to KODI, for example seems no more possible to add other external player as KODI Wiki explains.