Chat What are you doing with Digital Signage Mode on RT1619DR

Discussion in 'General Development' started by nc88keyz, Jun 5, 2022.

1. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

As far as I am aware this only exists on the newest zidoo boxes. There was something in an apk form found on github for the RT1295 series but I don't think its similar other than sharing the name with the integrated feature in firmware on the RT1619DR series.

Anyways,

Today I taught myself how to run a python script on my synology and download the latest apple trailers in 1080p to be used as a digital signage playlist on my RT1619DR based zidoo boxes. This is surely an accomplishment from someone who is not a script kiddie. I learn more about my NAS capabilities every day.

What I have learned about digital signage mode:

BDMV folder is a problem for this feature unless you drill down to the m2ts file in the stream folder and the app does not like that file from what I tested) I think this is an outstanding bug from "media center" playback as well. favorite bookmarks DOES work on .iso actually. ( tested with a 3d disc image for 1 min 15 second clipping)

It does NOT work coming out of standby / Only hard power off to power on mode
    The OSD still shows "play" which takes away from the preroll experience between clips. This is not necessary and should be hidden from the OSD.

It does recognize shuffle mode with the option key while playing videos but from everything tested will not save that setting as default like ratio or other settings. I have rebooted , changed the shuffle play setting in "quick settings" It always reverts to "repeat all" so you have to toggle it each time. Something seems to not want to stick with this setting while playing the "digital signage playlists" Tested with adding folder option, not individual file added to list. I am not sure it makes a difference.

You can select which digital signage playlist you want to start up with, I have made three so far, a 2D and a 3D playlist, and CinemaTrailers ( New Trailers from Itunes updated daily from NAS) with bumpers for 3D , atmos etc consisting of a 3D intro, animation, 3d trailer of avatar, and then an atmos demo or dts-x demo and to play them in order just stick a number on the front of the file:

Examples of Playlists:

(2D Preroll)
    1. Intro Theater Video
    2. Trailer 1
    3. Trailer 2
    4. Trailer 3
    5. Bumper for Atmos/DTS-X
    Then quick key on remote to go into Home Theater and select a movie.

(3D Preroll)
    1.Intro
    2.Animation
    3. Trailer
    4. Bumper for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X
    Then quick key on remote to go into Home Theater and select a movie.

(CinemaTrailers) Default Playlist at start
    Random Apple Trailers based on python script on NAS running every 4 hours

Its easy enough to just change the preroll items from a NAS share. and each time Digital Signage mode triggers plays the changed files within that folder. Also you can default back and forth to 2D, or 3D prerolls or just CinemaTrailers.

I would like to see more script support on the zidoo for lighting commands etc. Maybe in time This could be added to digital signage mode, to insert between videos for timing for api commands for lighting and even to trigger a film via Zidoos own api calls. I do hope support will grow for this.

I currently have https://github.com/aag/apple_trailer_downloader checking for new trailers every 4 hours which is likely overkill. It downloads them all in .mov format with 1080p and aac audio once you edit the config. Everything is running very smoothly

I am going to move some bumpers trailers for atmos , dts-x imax etc and maybe some trivia slides as well, although I might have to think on how to get those to be sequential. Again I am NOT great at scripting but it is amazing to flip on the zidoo and see 1080p cinema trailers and digital streaming etc.

If anyone has a synology NAS or similar nas and wants to know how to set it up i can pm some information to assist if you like. In a nutshell, i installed python3 from package manager, and set it in task scheduler , once i mapped out the directories for the downloaded_trailerslist.txt (prevents downloading twice) and the target directory for the trailers, as well as the log file. Its a little less straightforward than setting up a docker.

Last month I set up automated movie trailers using amtd docker in parallel with Sonarr which is reading my media directories. Because I have both UHD and 3D versions of "some" films, It was required to set up two dockers of radarr and 2 of amtd as well. All of my trailers are localized on my NAS now, and i do not have to wait for Zidoo to cure Home Theater 4 to work with trailers again, nor do i want to since they take up so little space. Maybe 20GB for over 1000 movies between UHD, 4K, 1080p , and 3D. The only broken thing is the file name. It has to be manually renamed to the movie name once it downloads the film as I do not use radarr to rename the films. I prefer the control over that at this point and am not allowing radarr to rename.

What are you using digital signage mode for currently? There is so little about it in the community, I hope someone else is using it as well. It also has the ability to bookmark scenes in each title in the playlist from what I have experienced.

One more thing, since i flooded the trailers on the innitial python script execution, All the dates are today. So eventually as more trailers come out the dates should be newer and you can sort by oldest to newest as well , but like i said random is a selection in the playback screen also, so you dont have to see the same trailers over and over in the same sequence.

I do hope zidoo works on digital signage mode more and improves its flexibiliity to randomize, etc. perhaps even scrape some data from them and create a front end of sorts. Not likely , but thinking outside the box on something that could expand!

One more thing, setting this up on a friends x9s and synology nas today as a testbed, was enough for him to finally upgrade from the X9S to the Z9X now knowing that the X9S and I think the Z9S do not have digital signage mode. Will be nice to have him upgraded to a current platform with much much life in it. our X9S boxes from many years ago -5-6 maybe cost about $60 and we definately got our money's worth out of them at the time. I moved on quite some time ago but he kept holding on to his pennies on updating. Today that changed. He has been asking for trailers for a while of current movies, and I was determined to figure something out even if i had to do it on windows and script it to copy them over to the NAS. Thankfully I figured out how to run it on the NAS itself with a little digging.

His Z9X should arrive from amazon in just a few days.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022