Wanted A guide to record and then playback using the X9 HDMI-in recorded vid with audio

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Paul Craton, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Paul Craton

Paul Craton New Member

I spent some time testing the HDMI-In recording function of one of the sample X9 boxes we are working with here in Sydney. I was successfully able to record a program that was being watched with its audio playing however when I attempt to playback the recording by selecting the recorded item from the list tab...

The player loads the file and correctly shows the video however the sound channel rather than playback the sound just has quiet but noticeable noise with no recognisable audio channels playing.

Does the default playback application for the video not support the H264 audio encoding? Why can I hear the content correctly when being recorded.. but the audio is not correctly being saved.

This is a standard unit and I have followed the logical steps. Have I missed something basic? Why is it not recording audio?

2. papiguy

papiguy Member

May be it is not the same "problem", but when I played back my first records (H264 from TV channels), I have been obliged to set the output level of the X9 to nearly 100% and to adjust the relevant input of my receiver (+10 db), this to have an output sound level similar to those obtained with other playing devices. The audio output level of X9 is very, very low, sufficient for a smartphone but weak for the intended use of this device .
    note: For the same record, playing with another player (Popcorn A410 or Bluray) gives correct output.

3. Hosee

Hosee New Member

I'd like to know how to record what I am currently watching (not from HDMI-in)

4. papiguy

papiguy Member

You cannot record what is displayed from another storage device. Use the "copy/paste" function (See below).
    I don't know weither it is possible or not to record what is available on the internet (I will not try for safety reasons). If it is technically possible, the procedure is the same as the here-after procedure for Hdmi In recording.

The procedure for Hdmi In recording is quite simple:
    1 - Ensure that an additional memory is plugged into the USB3 slot (USB stick or SD card inserted into an USB adapter). This is important because the internal memory card is limited in volume.
    2 - Set the configuration of the recording (considering the quality of the HDMI In source):
    for that, press the Menu button of the remote:
    - select the quality of the recording (VGA is poor)
    - select the recording destination by clicking on the arrow on the top line of the screen. The additional memory appears as "/usb/sda1/HdmiRecorder".
    - To plan recording: select "Bespoke" and the date/hour for the beginning of the recording, and set the length of the video (plus a margin). Note: do not forget that Zidoo will record the channel of the source at the time of recording.
    - for immediate recording, click on "Start". to stop the recording, press on the Menu button of the remote and click on "Stop".
    3 - To Play/rename/delete the record: select "List": Highlight a record, press the "Menu" button, select the action, and press OK.

Records can be played or deleted through "Media Center / Explorer ". Zidoo displays the content of the internal memory card. To display other paths, press on the left direction button. Select "USB".

Records can be uploaded on other devices. For example, if Samba is activated on a sever:
    - select "USB", then "HdmiRecorder", and highlight the file to be copied. Press on "Menu" (remote) and select "Copy".
    - press the left direction button of the remote.
    - select "SMB", then the name of this server, and navigate to the directory where the file is to be copied
    - press "Menu", select "Paste" and press "OK".

note: to navigate "upstream" into a path, do not use the left direction button, but press on "Return".

That's all Folks

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  5. Hosee

Hosee New Member

Thanks; this is all good but I want to record a Live TV station that I am watching from the "South pole"....can I do that? If "No" : is there a work in progress for me to enable that somehow? I am not interested in " suchwood" copyright etc. whatever... I just want to record something for a family member watch it at a later time.
    That's all .

6. papiguy

papiguy Member

Sorry, I had in mind the title of this thread ".... using the X9 HDMI-in ...".