Volume levels

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by MarcB-C, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Erland Loyd

Erland Loyd New Member

I suppose you need to set to Bal-xlr only.

Attached Files:

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

Earmuffs perhaps, they are just the relays.
    Keith

3. benma

benma Member

I'm using my A8 also as preamp connected to Nuprime ST10M mono blocks and Dynaudio Contour 30 speakers. I like the A8's sound (although A8's output voltage could be higher). Some days ago I've got for a test a Pro-ject PRE BOX RS preamp (used 400-500eur). I have connected my A8 to the preamp and the sound was much better, more dynamic, clearer soundstage, better 3D. I would judge the A8's preamp section as average.

4. Purité Audio

How have you connected your A-8 to the Project?
    Keith

5. benma

benma Member

I've done it through the XLR connection. I set the A8's volume level to 0. The listening volume level on the Pro-ject is at about 9 o'clock. It's comparable to the level -30 on the A8 connected directly to my mono blocks.

6. Purité Audio

So you are essence listening to the A-8s preamp.
    If you want a valid comparison you have to create two signal chains one to the A-8 and one to the Project level match and then compare.
    Misue told me and I have no reason to disbelieve here that the preamp on the A-8 has a sinad of -131dB which makes the very best pre amp available.
    Keith

Nutul likes this.
  7. benma

benma Member

You misunderstood me. I didn't write the details about my test. I just wanted to mention at what volume settings both play about the same volume level.
    Before testing I did measure pink noise volume levels with a microphone, once A8 connected directly to my mono blocks and then also with A8 connected to the Project preamp and mono blocks. I listened some reference tracks well known to me and I noticed the difference immediately. One more thing: the Pro-ject in my test was powered by its standard cheap external SMPS power supply.
    I don't trust measurement tests. Everything what our ears hear and our brain interpret can't be measured. I trust my ears. I never buy products based on measurement tests. Many products with less excellent measurement results sound excellent and many products with excellent measurement results sound less excellent. A8 sounds very good, especially its streamer and DAC part.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  8. Purité Audio

Everything you hear can be measured and your ears ( brain really) aren’t in the least bit trustworthy.
    I have never heard a properly engineered component sound poor, you may of course not enjoy transparency and prefer audible distortion.

Keith

9. benma

benma Member

Just one example:
    38000$ Pass Labs XS: SNR=110dB, THD+N=0,002%
    2000$ Eversolo dmp-A8 SNR=128dB, THD+N=0,00009%
    600$ Topping PRE90 SNR=138dB, THD+N=0,00007%

Which one is the best?

10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Most probably the Topping.

11. Purité Audio

12. benma

benma Member

Just read the numbers. According to the measurements, Pass is far worse than the both Chinese but 20 times more expensive.

Pass Labs xp32: 0.001%
    Eversolo dmp-A8: 0,00009%
    Topping PRE 90: 0,00007%

13. Purité Audio

The question is always one of audibility, there has to be enough added distortion so that it becomes audible, the ear just isn’t that sensitive.

Keith

14. benma

benma Member

"Whenever we find connoisseurship operating within science or technology we may assume it persists only because it has not been possible to replace it by a measurable grading."
    Michael Polanyi

DE_Don likes this.