Video Calls - Still struggling

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by HomeUse, Sep 6, 2016.

1. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

Hi everyone.

I'm still struggling unfortunately to find a way to do reliable video calls via the Zidoo.
    I posted about it earlier - http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/x6-pro-v1-3-38-and-webcams.1987/

I'm currently running Firmware 1.0.39 and have a Logitech C525 webcam.
    Skype fails to support audio through the camera but video is ok.

The only app I've been successful in using is Viber, but because of registration issues (I don't want to use my mobile number) this is proving to be impractical.

I've seen the new firmware and am yet to try it but I will.

I also came across this video calling app: Gruveo (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gruveo.gruveo_android&hl=en) Which if it works would be perfect and super simple!!!
    But the app fails to realize it has internet connection for some stupid reason?!

On a side note, for everything else this box is great.
    I have it setup with ZDMC pointed at my local media, a couple of plugins and a super cool plugin called PseudoTV Live which can create fake tv channels out of your media content and/or online content.

Thanks,
    HomeUse

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Viber/watsup . etc only work if you register via number. thats how there contact list works, its number to number call , but via internet.

You should try video with facebook messenger app ( so far the best one for me ). or google hangout .

3. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

Yes i know both whatsapp and viber are linked to the numbers. And as this is a home device i didn't want to use my mobile number.

Unfortunately i don't use Facebook so that's not an option.

I have tried Google hangouts. But that didn't work at all :(

4. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

Ok so i just tried the Gruveo app again and it works....hopefully im not celebrating too early. Still need to test with someone on the other end.
    I'm still using firmware v1.0.39

The difference is before i was using Ethernet and now I'm on WiFi

Surely there is some way to code the adapters so that apps can't tell the difference where the connection is coming from?

I would much prefer Ethernet over WiFi

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

Spoke too soon...the microphone didn't work :(:confused::mad:o_O

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well. android is not made for USB camera. so its hard to figure it out how to make it work. you should try a more android dedicated forum. like xda.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  7. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Anyway, I can confirm that my Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 works on my X6, both video and microphone.
    In my environment was Skype the problem.
    Any app that uses microphone activate the webcam and uses the internal microphone.
    The currently installed app the uses webcam works, activate the webcam and shows the captured video.
    But I don't want to install Gruveo or Viber or any other video call app do do some tests. The only one that I may try is Duo (very good!), but I don't know if is possible to register it on two different devices with the same number...

8. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

What firmware are you using Paco?
    I had a lifecam that i tried earlier but it worked less than the Logitech i have now.
    What video calling app are you using?

I'll have to check out Duo but i have the same phone number issue with it i think.

Haoss even the devices that have built in cameras are essentially USB based so it's possible to have it working.
    The issue is drivers and how the app has been coded to look for the webcam.

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i know. i was trying to explain that to him in less words

10. PacoRabanne

• 1.0.40 now
    • worked less... what do you mean?
    • now no one, I was interested only to use Skype (I have a lot of contacts) but Skype interface is unusable on "non touch" devices, so I gave up (temporarily)
    Is NOT a driver issue, if ROM supports UVC, and you connect a UVC device, the device is fully handled. No driver is needed at all!
    UVC is a "driverless" technology. You can deepen the argument with some googling, is not too hard.

11. HomeUse

HomeUse New Member

Worked less as in i only had video working. There was no audio at all. No matter what i did.

I understand the concept of what UVC. But there are different implementations of hence it's not perfect.

Not interested in arguing it achieves nothing. Thanks for the input though, always welcome so we can hopefully improve things as we go.

12. ArtMatsak

ArtMatsak New Member

@HomeUse Hi, Gruveo founder here. We have fixed the connectivity issue in the latest release of the app (version 2.1) so it should recognize your Ethernet connection. Please give it a try!

13. PacoRabanne