Using ZDMC, zidoo player shows "can't play video"

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by sodeknetters, Feb 21, 2017.

1. sodeknetters

sodeknetters New Member

Hi all, first post here...

I bought a Zidoo X9S last week, and have been busy setting it up past weekend. I really like the hardware design on this device.

The reason to buy the X9S was that last month I have bought a 55" LG B6 Oled, which has 4k and HDR support, but no 3D. My audio setup is analog 2.0 (vintage Hi-Fi )
    I was surprised to find that the internal player of the TV does not support any type of networked playback. All my stuff is on a NAS so that is an essential feature for me.

So far, I have managed to do the following:
    - wire up power, hdmi, network
    - configure KODI to use MySQL database (installed server on NAS, etc)
    - play files from USB and NAS

Initially I went through the settings but did not have the results I hoped for. At first, 4K files would not play at all. I used a fast USB stick to eliminate network issues and finally I got my videos to play correctly going back via 'factory reset' and only doing the minimum tweaks

The thing is, 4K files only seem to play using the 'file explorer' or 'media center' apps. It both works for local files and data streamed from the NAS. So far so good.

However, using ZDMC it seems I now run into a problem that goes beyond what I can do myself with limited Kodi experience. The external player seems to be exactly the same software as what is used when you go via the file explorer, but the problem is, when I use it to play videos through Kodi, a message pops up at the bottom of the screen saying "Can't play video". It pops up immediately.

NAS -> file explorer -> zidoo player => works, 4K, HDR, no stutters, etc.
    NAS -> kodi -> zidoo player => "Can't play video"

This makes me believe the problem is caused by ZDMC. I have been trying all kinds of settings in it, but the problem remains. As usual I suspect it's something simple caused by myself, but at this point I am completely lost :)

2. sodeknetters

sodeknetters New Member

3. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

So, your issue is
    some 4k videos work on the zidoo video player
    But they are not work on the ZDMC with external player( also zidoo video player)

Am I right?

We already know this issue. And we are working on this. It happens by random, not everytime, so it's not easy to track.

You are supposed to use filemanager or theater apks to handle . theater is also good app, give it a try.

4. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

freeroc, I'm one of the user with this issue, it happens also on SD or HD video files.
    But to play local network shared files, until now I use Zidoo video player. Is NOT a solution, only a workaround waiting for a definitive solution.
    Let me know if and how I can help you to debug. Even by PM :)

5. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Thanks.@PacoRabanne I'll contact you if we need assist.

6. sodeknetters

sodeknetters New Member

Hello freeroc,

In the meantime I have done some more tests. It seems that PacoRabanne is right and all the videos that are set to play with the external ZidooPlayer experience this issue.
    I agree that using file manager or theater apps should be seen as a temporary workaround only.

I would also be willing to help out to test certain things if you need assistance.

thanks!

7. sodeknetters

sodeknetters New Member

Oh and by the way @freeroc the problem is very consistent for me. It happens to me everytime I want to play a video through ZDMC using the external player.

8. sodeknetters

sodeknetters New Member

title changed, the problem not only occurs with 4K video.

I will try again after installing the new 1.2.12 firmware (but the changelog does not mention it so I presume the fix has not yet been found)

9. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Since R&D have other more priority issues to do , for now ,using theater or filemanager is the only way to workaround.

10. kayama728

kayama728 Member Beta test group

sodeknetters
    did you map samba share or nfs share?
    could you post all your ZDMC settings?

Paco you too, pls

i don't have this issue

11. PacoRabanne

I use two kinds of "file" sharing
    1. Windows 10 share (standard, with write access, and authenticated, else they don't work on some TV Boxes, including Zidoo ones).
    2. Universal Media Server (on the same PC, I've only one), without any transcoding enabled.
    More, I don't have a cabled network, only WiFi, I think 7 meters away but with some solid wall between.

Is enough?

12. sodeknetters

sodeknetters New Member

@kayama728 is there a function that allows me to export all settings to a file or something? there are a lot of menus with settings.

However it may be important to note that the problem exists in my installation, while I have done the absolute minimum changes to the factory setting.
    I use a SMB share (hosted on a Synology DS214) with read-only access.
    I bumped zdmc in expert settings mode and set up the MySQL service to use a database which is also hosted on the DS214
    I have all network connections through cat5e ethernet cables. WiFi is for mobile devices ;)

things I did not touch after factory reset:

- audio/video output options in ZDMC
    - audio/video output options in the settings menu

I'm at a loss. It seems the error must be in the zidoo player, or the 'handing over' of data between zdmc and the external player. I have no idea what different configurations would affect this to work (as in your case) or not, as in my and @PacoRabanne 's situation.

Today I see the announcement of the 1.3 beta firmware. I can understand the development team is working on other issues (full BD menu!! nice) so we'll just wait patiently until they have some time to look into this. At least I'm happy the problem is recognized by the development team as a known issue.

13. ginulfo

ginulfo New Member

Hi All,

i have the same problem with ZDMC; i try to play video from an iptv m3U list. SD HD FHD same response.
    I get: "Can't play video" by internal player.
    I think that ZDMC has its own player and should use this instead of the "internal"

14. PacoRabanne

ginulfo, which FW are you using ?
    Tried to "long press" on file to play (even if is a stream) to check if is possible to choose "DVDplayer" (ZDMC interna) instead on ZidooPlayer (Zidoo native)?

Anyway, ZDMC must always comply to the user preference of default player. Choosing DVDPlayer or ZidooPlayer must dafault launch only the choosed, not sometimes one and sometimes the other.
    I supposed this wrong behaviour was solved in last release, but not yet verified by me...

15. ginulfo

ginulfo New Member

I'm using the last official release 1.2.12. However i will try to "long press" ... i'm quite sceptical but i will do it. Thank You.

16. ginulfo

ginulfo New Member

I tried ... but nothing same problem ... with DVDplayer or Ziddo Player

17. kayama728

all works fine for me, i use kodi 16.1 yet with external player (i don't change the default)

i don't know ipt, i'm not interested to

Paco, i use samba share only, dlna not good

18. PacoRabanne

ginulfo, try 1.3.0 beta, maybe better.
    kayama728, don't agree, but is a legitimate opinion. I use both, depends on situation.

P.S. is there any Android app or trick that make possible to mount a SMB share as a local folder?

19. kayama728

yes Paco, there are:
    ANDSMB
    SMB network places
    but i never used, so i don't know

PacoRabanne likes this.
  20. PacoRabanne

Thank a lot!
    I'll have a look to.