Using music files on a USB stick on the USB 3.0 slot

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by audio58, Sep 11, 2023.

1. audio58

audio58 Active Member

I have a USB with about 50 .wav uncompressed files. So I thought I would insert it in the back of the A-6, top USB port. I went to the main screen and went to files and sure enough all files were there. I clicked on one to play and it started playing and sounded very nice. But I could not see what song was playing, the only display was the yellow VU meters not even moving. I could not tell how far along I was in the tune or could not stop it. All I could do was to play another tune. Is there some kind of setup when using this port?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That's some sort of weirdness...
    Anyway, some things are actually related to the file format you are playing: .wav: this format has no standard TAG system, that is... you have no info about artist / album / track etc.
    The problem with you not being able to stop playback, or even not see the track duration / position is IMO a software issue that needs to be addressed by Eversolo...

The VU meters not moving thing can be related to the internal audio path: in the end everything is converted to pure PCM (the wav file format is already pure, uncompressed linear PCM) and played. Now, if the info to drive the meters is gotten out in an earlier stage (yes, weird, but could be...) then at playback (final in the chain) stage there is nothing for the meters...

EricR likes this.
  3. audio58

audio58 Active Member

Ya, figured .wav has no TAG info. I will copy over a .flac 24 bit file next time I get a chance.
    Thanks

Nutul likes this.
  4. audio58

audio58 Active Member

I removed the USB stick, reinserted it and now I see all meta data along with controlling the tunes...must have been a glitch...so it works well with .wav files and you can see all artist info.

5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You surely have made a mess out of your .wav files, but if you are happy with it, so do we.

6. audio58

audio58 Active Member

The .wav files are not a mess!!

7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

If you can see metadata coming from your .wav files, then yes, they are a mess, as they are not a format supposed to carry metadata tags with itself. Use FLAC instead, or whatever you prefer; but leave WAVs without metadata. There is some etiquette in file formats.