Using Ethernet and WiFi at the same time X9

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by WarTV, Dec 30, 2015.

1. WarTV

WarTV Member

I have looked at various posts here about WiFi issues and have to wonder if some of you are having issues similar to what I am describing. I am trying to use Ethernet through a crossover cable to a PC that stores videos on it. I want to do this so that I don't use up all the bandwidth on the WiFi whenever I watch a stored video. I do want to use the WiFi for Netflix, YouTube, and other streaming apps.

This becomes an issue when you realize that the box disables the WiFi if you plug an Ethernet cable in. I know there has to be a script running, a program, something running in the background that monitors this and disables the WiFi. So my question is....Is there a workaround for this?

2. papiguy

papiguy Member

Usually I am using Ethernet connexion. I tried to use the Wifi, the ethernet connexion being active and it failed with a message like "bad connexion avoided".
    I modified the position of the antennas which were horizontal behind the zidoo (at the opposite side of the wifi access point, thus in a bad position), to vertical, ... and it works (connexion speed 130 Mbps).

Try to modify the position of the antennas, or install another wifi access point.

After posting the message I verified again and WIFI was disconnected.
    I removed Ethernet cable and the Wifi connexion was immediate.
    Wifi connexion being active I plugged the ethernet cable and the message "bad internet connexion avoided".

I believe that the system selects the best connexion like a smartphone...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  3. WarTV

WarTV Member

Yes it does, but I want to turn this off. Having both going at the same time should not be a problem as long as you put both on separate networks and point apps that are using the local network to the local network. The easiest ways to clarify this with the devices themselves is to set static IP's on anything using the crossover network and not set a default gateway or DNS. They will still communicate but only on that network and because they have no gateway apps and devices know they can't go there for internet access. You would have to specify the static IP of the device your connecting to for apps that would need to use that network. As for the other connection you would just leave it on DHCP

4. papiguy

papiguy Member

This is exactly the configuration I have set: static IP's on "static" devices, and DHCP on mobile ones, but all connected to the same home network. In that configuration, the behaviour of the X9 seems to be correct. As I am going to install a new router, I shall take this opportunity to create separate networks for testing purpose.

5. WarTV

WarTV Member

Let us know how it goes. I would like to not use the same network as the way I have it setup the two don't connect to each other (would probably have some serious routing issues). My whole goal of setting it up this way is to make it so that the WiFi doesn't go to a crawl every time you watch recorded TV.

6. papiguy

papiguy Member

My configuration being:
    - A Box internet with wifi (network A), to which is connected a switch.
    - To the switch are connected an Airport (apple device) playing the role of wifi hotspot (network B).

The X9 being wire connected to B, I tried to connect it by wifi to A: fails
    Then disconnect the ethernet -> connexion to A immediate
    Plug in the ethernet -> wifi connexion disabled
    connect again the wifi (while ethernet is still there): seems OK
    Use of Explorer: connects to B -> OK
    but, go back to settings -> Wifi is disabled -> impossible to connect again the wifi, no network available, searching...

It is impossible to have both ethernet and wifi.

My laptop can use both connexions at the same time,
    My Iphone can be connected to both WIFI and 4G at the same time,
    Zidoo X9 can be connected to one network only at the same time.

This is an issue to be solved.

7. WarTV

WarTV Member

We have to have something running in the background that monitors the connections and when it does it shuts off one or the other (usually the WiFi). This means whatever it is monitors the Ethernet connection and when it sees something plugged in checks the WiFi and then turns it off. You can have this issue on laptops, and it has been solved by disabling a service called Wireless_AutoSwitch.

Here is a link for making it disable the WiFi when Ethernet is connected https://superuser.com/questions/737...net-connection-is-detected-on-an-hp-elitebook
    Here is a link for stopping it from disabling the WiFi when Ethernet is connected https://superuser.com/questions/689...ling-the-wifi-adapter-when-the-wired-lan-is-c

8. papiguy

papiguy Member

Thanks for links, but they are related to windows OS, while X9 is under a linux distribution (Android).
    I did not find, even in the "section" for developpers, any possibility to set Wifi activated together with ethernet.
    The firmware should be modified to allow this setting.

9. WarTV

WarTV Member

I will scour the Internet at some point today and see if their are Chrome books that have had the same issue. I knew my above links were for windows I just listed them, because I know it will be something similar to fix this issue.