USB Audio while playing Video

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by AleMax, Jul 18, 2023.

Tags:
  1. AleMax

AleMax New Member

Hello,

maybe i misunderstood how any of this works completely,
    but is there any way to get USB Audio while playing a video file with the Home Theater App?
    This is kind of what i expected to work when i bought the Z9X, but i can't make it seem to work at all, and now i am wondering if it is even possible in the first place..
    I only have the Zidoo connected to a SSD via USB, to my TV via HDMI (the audio gets routed through the HDMI) and i want to connect headphones / a dac via another USB port, and would love to have the audio route through that.

Any help appreciated.

2. Ctrl-Alt-Del

Ctrl-Alt-Del New Member

I've had a Z9X and have now a Z9X Pro. Most of the time I watch videos with a headphone connected to my rme ADI-2 Pro FS-R, which is connected to my Zidoo via USB. It works just fine.

Is "Audio" - "USB-Audio" turned on?

3. AleMax

AleMax New Member

Yeah thank you, but that setting is definitely turned on.
    When viewing this setting in the settings app there is a warning (or I guess they call it "tip") that this setting only is relevant for the local Music player, which made me think that USB Audio might by design only be available for the music player.
    It works for me too for Music, but i would like it if it also were to work with video.

4. Ctrl-Alt-Del

Ctrl-Alt-Del New Member

It is relevant for the local Music player in contrast to third party apps, I guess. All apps can access the USB-port, but the settings only take effect on the local music player. Roon, for example, can't play DSD over USB, no matter what you select here.
    Home Theater and ZDMC play sound over USB, but I could not yet find out exactly how to config the output. In parts it seems to depend from the settings for HDMI-audio.

5. AleMax

AleMax New Member

I have tried ZDMC as well, it played Audio over USB without a problem in the menus (the menu sounds), but as soon as the video played (which afaik is the same video player as Home Theater uses) it suddenly switches to audio sent over HDMI (and coming out of the TV's speakers)
    I also have tried playing around with the HDMI audio settings and everything, but no matter what i try, the audio always gets routed via HDMI and nothing appears over USB.
    Maybe my only option is to acquire a DAC to use with the optical audio output (if that works together with playing a video)