US Customs seizing these 'TV Boxes' for possible HDMI violations

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by videobruce, Apr 19, 2018.

1. videobruce

videobruce Member

I just had a X10 seized by US Customs for possible HDMI license violations. It was shipped by DHL from Hong Kong.

According the the Customs officer I spoke to, apparently Hollywood is whining about some of these Chinese 'boxes' because the manufacture(s) have not gotten the license to include HDMI ports. I now have to wait for a letter (up to 60 days) from Customs for a decision if this will be actually "seized". he did state it was nothing against the customer (other than tring to collect what was paid :rolleyes: )

Has anyone else heard of this?

2. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

3. videobruce

videobruce Member

I did see that, but when I questioned Customs again (same Officer) I was told many of those documents on manufactures sites are indeed forgeries.

No, I'm not making this up !

4. Sarco

Hope not (forgeries), but since we can not record by HDCP restriction there is hope

5. Sarco

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    videobruce likes this.
  6. Sarco

In the list of terminated there is the well known Egreat and Dune HD!

7. videobruce

videobruce Member

The issue is no license at all, not just a issue with added (worthless here) input port.

I did a rough count of these "Shenzhen" companies and it came to around 200 with the same 1st name. Sheesh. :eek:

8. Sarco

Maybe HDMI in for you is worthless but I use to broadcat on my tablet, telephone.. Even on internet

9. videobruce

videobruce Member

In the US, it's mostly worthless as far as tiring to record any material to the device.
    AFA recording off of a camcorder, that may be a different story.

10. Sarco

Work in Canada, just find HDCP ripper splitter.

11. videobruce

videobruce Member

Don't give them another reason to seize these. ;)

12. videobruce

videobruce Member

Well, here is a update;
    Out of the blue, DHL arrived this day with the shipment. It was opened, then re-sealed with US Customs tape. BTW, there was no duty.

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

the box is HDCP compliant . so i't no surprise there. good thing they worked fast :)

also Shenzhen is a city in china, that seems to have heavy industry, so seeing over 200 companies in Shenzhen is not surprising :p after all. 90% of the things you see on shops is made in china, hell , the tape that the customs used to reseal the box has high probability to be made in or near Shenzhen =))

videobruce likes this.
  14. videobruce

videobruce Member

I never made a connection for that word to a location town or city. ;)
    Frankly after talking to Customs, I was ready to write this off, especially after hearing about the forgeries.

15. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

US is getting paranoiac , see the huawei fiasco ...

Strange thing you did not find info about Shenzhen.. first google link is wikipedia " Shenzhen is a major financial center in southern China. The city is home to the Shenzhen Stock Exchange as well as the headquarters of numerous home grown multinational well-known companies such as Vanke, JXD, Hytera, CIMC, Shenzhen Airlines, Nepstar, Hasee, Ping An Bank, Ping An Insurance, China Merchants Bank, Tencent, ZTE, Huawei and BYD.[12] Shenzhen ranks 22nd in the 2017 edition of the Global Financial Centres Index published by the Z/Yen Group and Qatar Financial Centre Authority.[13] It also has one of the busiest container ports in the world.[14] "

16. Theeraphon

Theeraphon Member

Shenzhen is a big city. The city exhibits big industrial and technology fairs called "Canton Fair" twice a year (Around mid April and mid October). It takes about 1 hr. Ferry ride from Shenzhen to Hong Kong.

17. videobruce

videobruce Member

I never did a search for that name since my initial concern was not for me, but for them ID'ing the company. Since it's a name of a city, I'm more than sure it would be recognized and there wouldn't be a problem, which as it turns out it wasn't.

Thanks for the details.

18. videobruce

videobruce Member

I would figure this will be a problem for all those 'dime a dozen' 'boxes' for under $50 (US), not ones like these. I hope anyone reading this in the US will think twice about those 'e-bay' specials.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  19. Sarco

Not only those one but like I wrote Egreat and Dune HD are no more adopter but terminated for HDMI.

20. videobruce

videobruce Member

I missed that, details please since those are well known names, especially DuneHD. Egreat seems to be also popular recently in a certain US form. :eek: