Update Samba protcol to SMB3 ? (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by crocell, Mar 13, 2016.

1. crocell

crocell New Member

Hi there :)

Well, I'm using a NAS server at home, and I'm experiencing very very very low transfer rates when connected to my Zidoo box with Samba, and HD videos are unwatchables :( even after boosting network cache in Kodi ...

After a short investigation, and some tests, it appears that Zidoo box uses the NT1 protocol for Samba, witch brings the slowest of the slower transfer rates in network sharing history :/ ...

Why this choice ? ...
    And most important for me: does KodiTeam plan to implement SMB3 protocol for Samba in any future firmware ? (and when ? :)

Cheers^^

2. spring

spring Guest

Hi:
    the speed depend on the server and client, and even the whole environment of the network, not only the client device.
    about the SMB3, it have a pictrue:

Attached Files:

3. crocell

crocell New Member

Hi, thx 4 fast reply ;)

Well, my server is nas4free, and it runs (very well) under FreeBSD ...
    And I'm sure that Zidoo X6 is the only device that connects to my NAS with Samba NT1 protocol :/

On the screenshot of my NAS informations, you can see my MacBook (192.168.1.11, the first line under "Utilisateurs actifs") connected with SMB3 protocol, and ZidooX6 (192.168.1.13, the second line ...) is connected with NT1 -> so I guess there is no server or network problem, but only 1 client problem, and this client is Zidoo ...............

[​IMG]

edit : and you can see here the transfer rates (tested with a HD1080p video file, about 8Go) :

Read video from NAS to Kodi-Zidoo (Samba NT1)
    [​IMG]

Copy video-file from NAS to Zidoo (Samba NT1)
    [​IMG]

Read video from NAS to VLC-Mac (Samba SMB3)
    [​IMG]

Copy video-file from NAS to Mac (Samba SMB3)
    [​IMG]

Samba NT1 protocol -> about 15Mb/s
    Samba SMB3 protocol -> up to 80Mb/s

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. spring

spring Guest

i see.
    kodi use the smb NT1 now.
    and i don't know when kodi team will improvement to smb3.

5. crocell

crocell New Member

In fact, even without starting Kodi, ZidooX6 uses NT1 protocol to connect ... (the 2nd graphic named "Copy video-file from NAS to Zidoo (Samba NT1)" I provided in my last post is the output data transfer rate of a video-file copy process, from NAS to Zidoo, using Zidoo's built in explorer ...).

Anyway, I thought that ZidooTeam used to build a custom Kodi for Zidoo, so it's not impossible ? :)
    (I made a mistake in my very first post, I talked about the KodiTeam, but I was thinking about ZidooTeam, the firmware makers ... sorry for that)

6. crocell

crocell New Member

I tried to add some extra parameters in the smb.conf file of my NAS, to force protocols :
    - adding "server min protocol = SMB3" result in a non-accessible shares with Zidoo and Kodio ; absolutely no pb. with my others devices that still can access these drives ...
    - adding "server min protocol = SMB2" give exactly the same results ...
    - of course, if I add "server min protocol = NT1", Zidoo and Kodi can access the shared drives again ...

I founded a "smb.conf" file into Zidoo's system files (path -> Flash/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.smb/) ; so, I tried to add the same changes using the client-side parameters (client min protocol = XXX), and tried with "SMB2", "SMB3" and "CORE", but no changes at all after rebooting everyone -> Zidoo and Kodi still connect with NT1 to my NAS.

7. crocell

crocell New Member

@spring : major edit of my post -> after investigations about different Samba protocols, it appeared to me that transfert rates should be approximatively the same, no matter if using NT1, SMB2, or SMB3 protocol ...
    So, as my problem was not a question of protocol, I thought that it was maybe a question of connection ; so I wanted to deactivate Wifi in Zidoo, and test transfer rates with a wired connection, and then I saw that 2,4GHz channel was in use for Wifi, and not 5GHz ... o_O

I had to tweek a little my internet box, and adjust the settings about 5GHz channel : it was set on 'auto' (116), I just set it on '36', and now everything seems fine :) my transfer rates are jumping around 70Mb/s in pure copy process between Zidoo and my NAS, even with NT1 protocol in use ...

So, it seems solved, sorry for annoying :)

cyber7 likes this.
  8. spring

spring Guest

ok,thanks.