UHD3000: Renaming internal hard drive - how?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Netmask, May 3, 2022.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

The first drive I mounted inside my Zidoo was formatted in my PC as NTFS. At the time I gave it a name Zidoo-1 and it appears with that name. The second drive was formatted by the Zidoo in EXT4 and it gave it the name Unknown. I would like to name it Zidoo-2. How can I do this so that it appears in file manager Zidoo-2 ?

2. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Have you tried using a PC on your network? It can certainly change file names, copy and delete them. EXT4 may be an issue, however (but if you can do it on a NAS with Windows Explorer, why not a logged drive?).

3. Netmask

The drive is in the Zidoo not the NAS BB102E72-557E-447A-9F75-49BC1BDD332C.jpeg . On the pc they appear under share Zidoo and the drives appear as a set of numbers whilst at the same time on the Zidoo appear as Ziddo01. (The NTFS Drive ) and Unknown for the EXT4 drive. You can’t change the number of the EXT4 drive at the PC end. You really need to have a command in the Zidoo as far as I can glean. I will try with a Linux PC but I’m doubtful. What I have found is if you insert a disc or memory stick into the Zidoo and format it, if it’s under 2TB the requester box gives you the option to name and defaults to NTFS. If more than 2 TB it defaults to EXT4 and I don’t remember if it gives you the option to name. I’ll check it when I get a 12TB drive later.

4. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

If you have a Linux PC, can you plug the drive into it and change the drive name that way, perhaps? It is easy to do with NTFS drives and a PC.
    You may need a Linux command line in Putty or similar, to do what you want to do?
    The recommended way to format new drives was for a GPT partition and NTFS (limited to 16Tb as noted in another thread).

5. Netmask

Yes I have a loan of a an older MAC running Linux. That’s my intention to give it a go. To change the name it’s buried somewhere in systems on the Linux. It would however be a cleaner way if the Zidoo had the ability. That’s what my original post was about.