Tidal Connect sound quality

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Sandmesteren, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Sandmesteren

Sandmesteren New Member

After watching this review, I tried listening to Tidal through the Eversolo controller, and I also find the sound quality better using the Eversolo app rather than Tidal Connect? Why is this? Shouldn't it be the same? I thought it would be bit-perfect using Tidal Connect, but it's obviously not.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  2. Bimmers

Bimmers New Member

I plan on using tidal connect when I receive my unit. Perhaps this issue can be addressed via firmware.

3. Bimmers

Bimmers New Member

Anyone else with this issue?

4. tora-tora

tora-tora Member

I asked in the other forum the owner of Master Edition if he found some difference. He has pretty high end system:
    Amp: Gryphon Diablo 300
    Speakers: B&W 703 signature
    All cables - Tellurium Ultra Black II

he carefully listened and compared Tidal Connect vs. Internal player:
    - with DMP connected over Ethernet - NO DIFFERENCE
    - with DMP connected over WiFi - NO DIFFERENCE

gymnos likes this.
  5. Bimmers

Bimmers New Member

Thanks.

6. Sandmesteren

Sandmesteren New Member

I've have been A/B comparing and I find that there is a definite difference. The sound when using the app is a bit fuller and less fatiguing. It's like there is a ever so slight "distortion" to certain frequencies - especially higher midrange and treble when using Tidal Connect.

I hate this because I much prefer the Tidal app.

Anyone from Zidoo who can't comment on, if there is difference when using Tidal Connect vs EverSolo app?

7. tora-tora

tora-tora Member

Dear @Sandmesteren could you give couple of example tracks where you experience that difference. I do not notice the difference on my system as well (like the other guy)

8. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a real issue. I have Tidal but I don't use Tidal Connect. From what I understand it's just a way to control, it should be using the internal app in the background.

But if the quality degrades I hope it's not erroneously streaming from your phone instead.

I'm in the office now to try, will not be home in 9 hours but what is the specs of the track shown? Is it still lossles/hi-res as it should? If it's down-converted then that's a wrong implementation.

I'm sure it can be fixed in a firmware update, @mirror can you kindly check on this? Cheers.

9. Sandmesteren

Sandmesteren New Member

I experience the difference on all tracks. It's like the difference between normal CD-quality and Hi-Res. It's not night and day difference, but everything just sound a littte fuller, airy and more composed.

Try listening to Galacticana by Strand og Oaks. Take the first 45 seconds. It just ever som slightly more transparent and composed using the EverSolo app. When the snare drums starts around 2:25, it sounds more airy, transparent and composed using the app. Try the Steff Huff playlist by JeepMan. All ther tracks sound better using the EverSolo app.

I don't have the Hi-Fi Plus tier, so everything is CD-quality, but the sound difference is still obvious.

In an old setup where I used a Bluesound Node 2i and its internal dac, it sounded better when streaming from Roon as opposed to using Tidal Connect. I get the exact same sensation here. It seems to me that Tidal Connect does something with the audio quality.

Can anyone from Zidoo (or Tidal) comment on what is going on with this audible difference?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    ammar11 likes this.
  10. ammar11

Oops this totally slipped my mind, I never did the test thanks for bringing this thread back up. Great timing too I’m considering to unsubscribe Tidal next week and just be on one service which better serves me on certain factors.

I’ll try to remember to do it tomorrow, thanks for the songs suggested. I’m currently on Hi-Fi Plus.

11. ammar11

Okay finally did a test listening to Galacticana by Strand of Oaks just now.

upload_2023-7-9_10-1-37.png upload_2023-7-9_10-2-8.png

I agree using the A6 native app sounds bigger, more body to it. But it’s not very obvious though, perhaps there’s some attenuation going on via Connect but I don’t know what.

Mind you this was a quick comparison, not a blind tesx or a real ABX test by any means.

gymnos likes this.
  12. Sandmesteren

Sandmesteren New Member

When I'm using the app, the app is just smooth and pleasing, but when using Tidal Connect it adds a little unwanted "distortion" at certain frequencies like mid base and vocals.

It's especially apparent when the music's just playing like background music. When using the EverSolo app, everything sounds smooth and composed, and I don't "notice" the music. However when using Tidal connect I start noticing certain frequencies that annoys my ears. If I should compare it to something, it sounds like, if I suddenly have gotten a little worse room acoustics or didn't turn on the room correction on my amp.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  13. Sandmesteren

Sandmesteren New Member

Is there really nobody else than me, than can hear a difference between Tidal Connect and EverSolo app with the latter sounding better?

I really want to use Tidal Connect beacuse of the better app interface, but not when it messes with the sound quality.

Has anybody stumbled across this issue on other Hifi forums?

14. ammar11

Is there an official forum for Tidal? Perhaps try to ask there as well. I've cancelled my Tidal subscription so I can investigate this further anymore.

15. Sandmesteren

Sandmesteren New Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    gymnos likes this.