Swapping Removable Internal HDD on Appropriate Models

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Jan 7, 2022.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi all

I was reading the latest posts on the NEOS/NEOX thread and note that advice is to power off before removing and replacing.

Does this apply to all models? I leave my Z1000 Pro in standby mode 24/7 other than powering off with the switch on the rear after a firmware update. So I have got into the habit of swapping my drives whilst in standby mode. Is this not recommended and should I power off first? My network doesn't see the drives until I actually power on.

Wondering what the experts think please?

Cheers

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

???

I asked if I should power off (rather than leave in standby) before removing and replacing

3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Only way to be totally safe and protect from static or your valuable movie / music collection from any loss or etc
    Is shut down and power off .

Too elliminate any loss or failure .

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks @DELUCAS - I'll get into the habit of doing this. I store Hi-Def Music on one HDD and my UHD films on another - much appreciated

5. DELUCAS

@rozel when you have a vast valueble collection of movies or music you cant afford to loose them or
    So you do whats the best safest cause of action .
    Even if there backed up it be a pain to replace / transfer them in case of a issue arriving .

6. DELUCAS

Everyone does as they please or chooses to on here or what always works for them etc

As an example as i use ssd for many years
    As its as such new tech compared to a mechanical drive tech
    I take precautions as i nearly Lost my Movies for some odd strange reasons .

so i am cautious .

i often power my unit down when not in use so a no brainer its off thats when my ssd comes out if req
    But it mostly stays in there .

A possible cause of SSD failure is power outages or power surges that may cause short circuits in the drive and corrupt the stored data.

Mechanical Drives are different but some can come with some type of hybrid ssd s well .
    No harm in playing it safe .

7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Nice Monkey - I thought an "expert" like your goodself would have given me a clear answer on this, rather than a barrel load of tech stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong but you haven't answered my original question unlike @DELUCAS.

Based on what @DELUCAS has said therefore, I shall power off using the switch on the reverse, before swapping drives from now on

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Deary me - I thought my original post was asking the question, not you! Never said power cycling was better - you are making stuff up. So you are saying @DELUCAS has answered by stating his gut feelings? Really @Nice Monkey you have a really awful way of answering members' posts sometimes. If you cannot answer a simple question simply, then don't bother!

Sheesh!