Streaming over Lan - which protocol / app do you use?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by Davicom, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Davicom

Davicom Member

Hi to all.

Until today I used control center to access on shared folder on Windows 10 to see movies in streming. But the quality of streaming is very bad: slowdowns and continuous interruptions, although the wired network is capable of 1gbps. Even in file transfers, samba stability is very fleeting.

My question, as title, is simple: what do you use (if you use) to make streaming videos? Do you have some trips, maybe to configure specificing samba on Windows 10? Dlna could be better? Airplay?

The question would gain more importance if I had to decide "finally" to buy a nas.

Thanks in advance for your advice and your experiences

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

are we talking about 4k or 1080p ?

3. Davicom

Davicom Member

i'm talking about 4k movies...in the meantime i followed the guide in user guide tips and trick, to the chapter "samba tweaks" and I noticed a good improvement, but if you have some other tips, maybe side Windows, I listen to you

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah, for some reason 4k over samba does not work as smooth as it should, seen that in some tests myself, 1080p is flawless but 4k not, even if my lan reaches 113MB/s with is enough to play 20 4k movies at the same time...

5. Davicom

Davicom Member

same situation for me. As mentioned after editing smb template i noted little improvement. Also considers that i stream from my pc, i don't own dedicated nas, and maybe also this affects the stream.

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

should not matter. i think the box samba protocol is the one at fault here, if you are using PC to share, try setting up NFS protocol and not samba.

7. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Unluckily, having a Windows PC as file server, NFS require the installation of a not free server. Tested may times the free ones available, without success.
    Unluckily Zidoo developers never answered about adding uPnP / DLNA support in Media Center (that may add the same support also in new Home Theater 2.0).

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah, but in kodi there is support.