Should I buy an X9S?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Owlly, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Owlly

Owlly New Member

Hello,

I am thinking of buying an X9S, mainly for 4K content, Kodi streaming etc.
    I like the look of the unit and the software, it looks like a quality product similar to Minix.
    However, I am concerned about the spec, only quad core, on 2 gb of RAM and not DDR4.
    I am also looking at a Yundoo Y8, this is very fast and looks future proofed but suspect there will be hardly any support!!

Is it worth buying X9S?, not interested in X10 as no need for HHD. Is the X10 a direct replacement for x10?

Cheers!

2. Dairy_Farmer

Dairy_Farmer Member

X10 is basically the same as the x9s except there is an internal hdd bay instead of external. Has some other updates too.

The x9s / x10 boxes do not need much RAM to run as a TV box for streaming and downloading. It is unlikely that you will be installing a lot of extra apps on top what is in the original setup. You are still able to install Netflix and the like. If you plan to install a lot of games then maybe this is the wrong choice of device.

It is nice to have the SATA port as I plugged in my old 1Tb laptop hdd (replace it with a ssd) and now have all my media is at the one box. All my pc's in the house now have access to the media via the inbuilt NAS service. Much quicker and cheaper than a USB3 hdd and leaves that port open for other USB3 devices. I have no need to run a more traditional server and other tv's can have more simpler android boxes.

3. Owlly

Owlly New Member

Fantastic! Thank you for your reply. I have 2tb network drive that I think would be able to network with X9S.
    My only grumble is that it seems low in grunt compared to all the s912 oct core and Rock chips and I am surprised that zidoo did not update the processor and Ram speck for the X10. I think I am basically saying that it's not that future proofed in market that is fast changing. It's a lot of money !!

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

actually, s912 is only good on paper, s905x is better chip, and if you can, stay away from rockchip when it comes to kodi.

As for x9s: x8,x9s,x10 use the same SOC. So can play the same files, Some users are happy with the box, some want more, depends on the encode really, 4k is just a resolution, does not say even 5% of the story.

the main attraction on all tv boxes, is the ability to hardware decode, that's why the can get away with 2 gb of ram and a 4core LOW power CPU.

P.S. you should also read all you can find here http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112
    best place to find a good kodi box for you is on the kodi forum

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Owlly

Owlly New Member

Thank you for the best forum steer (been on a few forums) I have had. I checked out the kodi forum and basically the answer is, for my budget, is to get a Minix U9-H with A2 air mouse. God knows why I didn't reference a kodi forum before, it must my newness to the subject!!
    Anyway, just purchased a Minix U9-H. It's a shame as I really liked X9S as it has more features, but native Kodi 17.1 is important to me as well as good firmware support.

A poster:

The MINIX U9 looks to be best AMLogic Android S912 (and S905(x)) - Kodi Krypton capable box out in the market running Android Marshmallow.
    It has working Kodi dynamic refresh switching (a first for AML Android MM) and what appears to be Google IEC61937 Audio standard code in its Firmware. As @wesk05 tested - Kodi Krypton has working HD passthrough Audio. This is all looking good for decent Kodi Krypton support.

The U9's Firmware appears to be of a pretty high standard already and you will get the usual - continual OTA Firmware updates from MINIX. This is what you are ultimately paying for. Support.
    That MINIX A3 Lite Wireless Air Mouse keyboard remote is really nice too. (I use an A2 Lite with various devices).

Unknowns are OTA TV and DVD deinterlacing reliability when using Android Kodi (mediacodec) and older codecs AMLogic Android Kodi boxes normally struggle with. Something weird is going on with S912's boxes - SMB WiFi by the looks of it as well. Hi-Res audio has limitations when using Android and Auto resolution Apps switching is broken on all Android devices but the FireTV. HDCP 2.2 looks like its unsupported.

As to the question of Android OS upgrades from MINIX. Who knows.

Cheers!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

x9s is also suppose to support kodi 17 with all its new api features, but when, hard to tell, may be 1 month, may be 1 year... I'm using kodi 17 right now, but i don't need audio passtrough

make sure you test the hell out of the box at first :) Usually you end up finding problems with it when it's to late to return it.

7. Owlly

Owlly New Member

Definitely, I see Minix has also a troubleshooting forum, hopefully I will not be referencing it!
    Cheers.