Samba server fail?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Larry D Elie, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Larry D Elie

Larry D Elie New Member

Hi.

X10, used since May. Everything works, but suddenly, perhaps 2 weeks ago Samba is turning off a few minutes after start. I have a lot of experience (HiMedia, Kdlinks, etc.) so I know a bit about Samba. I'm wired, not wireless. 10Tb (about 7Tb full) and all was working fine. The box still plays fine; settings seem fine, router fine.

If I go to settings, Samba is OFF, if I try to turn it on, I get "FAIL" message.

If I restart the box, I have full access for perhaps 2 minutes.

This box is on 24/7

I've reset everything that makes sense.

Tech support won't answer...

2. Larry D Elie

Larry D Elie New Member

Update. I found that if I moved a few ten-thousands of files off the drive, Samba works better. Somewhere around 300,000 files, Samba seems to choke. I think what was happening was that Samba would work for a few minutes until the indexing worked its way up into the vicinity of 300,000 files, then it simply turned off. The rest of the box still worked. This is going to be a problem for others eventually; we tend to store MORE flies each year, not less. I've got almost 17,000 films, but it's the 145,000 photos and the 125,000 in my copy of a whole computer that scare Samba.