SACD playback from Oppo 103

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Ross Ed, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Ross Ed

Ross Ed New Member

I'm trying to play SACD DSD from an Oppo 103 via an HDMI extractor device with DOP output via S/PDIF coax to DMP-A6 coax input.

The DMP-A6 shows a DSD-64 signal , but the issue is severe crackling and popping during playback via analog out to integrated amp.

When I switch the Oppo's output to SACD-PCM, there is no such noise.

+ Is this a compatibility issue with the DAC's ESS chipset?
    + Or, a defective HDMI extractor?

Thanks for your replies.

-Ross

EDIT: I've tried multiple XLR, RCA, coax cables and the problem persists. I've also tried multiple DSD64 DOP sources and the problem remains. I also get the noise but to a lesser extent when streaming ripped DSD files from Roon via the DMP-A6 internal player. Resetting the DMP-A6 did not remedy the issue either.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Can the spdif coax handle the bandwidth required for DSD64?

3. Ross Ed

Ross Ed New Member

It's a Monoprice 102681, 3 ft. Not seeing any specs specific to DSD other than 76 Ohm impedance.

4. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Have you tried playing a DSD file (DSF or DST) natively on the A6?
    A simple USB stick will do to try playing internally.

If that works fine, then it is your digital connection to the A6 that is problematic.

5. Ross Ed

Ross Ed New Member

So I’ve still got that crunchy sound when playing SACD / DSD (DOP64). SACD / PCM sounds fine but sample rate is 88.2 maximum.

Yes, DSD files from Roon and also USB device play fine (I went up to DSD256).

What I tried:
    +I replaced the HDMI (DOP) extractor with a new one. No change. Added 12v power adapter to extractor. No change.

+ Replaced HDMI cables with new. No change.

+ Replaced SPDIF Coax cable with new Mogami 75ohm. No change.

+ Tried a Sony UBP-X800M2 blu-ray player but same crunchy sound occurred when set to DSD output. (Sounded fine on PCM).

+ Applied every possible combination of settings.

Again, the A6 will play at SACD > DSD64 DOP but has popping and crackling throughout playback. SACD > PCM is fine but limited to 88.2.

6. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

That is what I'm experiencing in DSD mode from the A6 to the OPPO 205 and my conclusion is that OPPO is not very stable on the HDMI IN in Audio mode with the A6.
    DOP64 was working fine though.

7. Burki

Burki Member

Mmh, that's complete different, because here in this thread the DMP-A6 is used as DAC and a HDMI extractor is in the chain.

I'm using (very rare) an Oppo 105 with a HDMI extractor (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hdmi...l-to-i2s-coaxial-optical-4k-60hz-p-13419.html) together with my Holo Audio May through I2S without any problems.

Different in here is, that no DoP is used and it goes through I2S.

What I would do:
    - test another HDMI audio extractor
    - test it with another "DoP source" like a PC with SPDIF out (or a Mac, which outputs DSD in every case as DoP)
    - rip your SACDs (the Oppo 103 is able to do this) and include the file into your Roon system

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

I have an Oppo 103 that's used exclusively for ripping SACDs. I have a large portion of my SACDs (stereo and multichannel) ripped with the files on hard drives. My DMP-A6 has an internal 4TB SSD installed and a connected 5TB USB hard drive.

I can play all of my SACD rips with the DMP-A6 which is one of the biggest reasons for buying one. I use the HDMI output (to an Emotiva XMC-1) for multichannel and the USB output (to a Marantz SA-KI Ruby). The DMP-A6 is an excellent hub for all of this so I have no need to play the SACDs anymore. No need for an HDMI extractor or the additional cabling.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ing-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/#comments

Nutul, Gil Fuhrer and GeNeRiKz like this.
  9. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Same use case here -- albeit to a OPPO 205 for multi-ch and a Pontus II for stereo.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only only using the DMP-A6 purely as a digital server/streamer!

Bill Mac and Gil Fuhrer like this.