(RESOLVED) DMP-A8 APPEARS TO BE PUTTING MY AMPS IN PROTECTION MODE (Using the RCA Outputs)

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Itch, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Itch

Itch Member

I have been using Spotify exclusively.

I used all available methods to stream music.

- Directly from the unit

- Cast back and forth from an iPhone

- Spotify Connect (from an iPhone)

All three of these worked flawlessly.

Several listening sessions and there were no issues.
    MY LAST SESSION IS WHEN THINGS BEGAN TO TURN

Turning the volume up a bit (very little) put my amp in to protection. (Using the RCA outputs)

I checked all of my connections - even swapped out interconnects known to be issue free.

Fired up the system again - SAME RESULT.

I swapped in three different amps - same result (I know, I know... but desperate times require dumb actions).

I did test each of those amps with different preamps/systems - NO Issues.

I have done several factory resets of the DMP-A8.

Today's factory reset resulted in the same issue. A small volume increase and my amp goes in to protection.

I have not had the time to put a meter on the RCA outputs yet.

Thoughts?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Looking at the A8 specs its RCA outs are 2.1V (max) so it appears to be pretty standard...
    What inputs are you using on your AMP? What cables are you using? (I mean, is it not you are using some XLR -> RCA ones that might use the differential sum of the signals, instead of just one channel?)
    Does your AMP have a GAIN setting that you might inadvertently change?

Itch likes this.
  3. Itch

Itch Member

RCA Line In

A pair of SVS SoundPath RCA cables.

No

No gain controls on any of the amps

[​IMG]

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

At what level is the volume of the A8, juste before it toggles the protection?
    As it is not clear, does the issue happen ONLY with Spotify, or also playing local tracks?
    Other than this I could only think of an impedence mismatch that till now you havent run into... what's your AMP?

5. Itch

Itch Member

I have the unit set to default to -40 on power up.

It happens with Amazon Music as well
    I have no network or ssd music configured

Parasound 275
    Proton D1200
    Lightstar II
    Onkyo M-5030

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It could be interesting then if you just could try.

I beg you pardon, but I don't know which one of the above is an AMP, or if all of them are; and you are experiencing the problem with them all.
    One thing for sure: IF they all present the same issue, then something is definitely wrong with your A8; they cannot all be faulty at once...
    P.S.
    You are not using DSP / PEQ etc. are you?

7. Itch

Itch Member

All of them are

No Sir

Thanks much for helping me troubleshoot these issues.

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

So, since all of them are amps, and they are all giving you the same trouble, I see no other possibility apart the Eversolo being faulty... :-(

9. Erland Loyd

Erland Loyd New Member

Have you tried to set the output to Analog-RCA or xlr/RCA?

Attached Files:

Itch likes this.
  10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That will only select to which outputs the signal will be sent to, not its level...

11. Itch

Itch Member

Erland!

It took me a while to figure out "where" that screenshot was.
    (The APP - not the display menu on the unit).

AFTER A FEW MORE FACTORY RESETS....

My unit was set to XLR/RCA...

I toggled back and forth between the XLR/RCA output and just the Analog-RCA.
    Ultimately using the XLR/RCA OUTPUT

NO MORE ISSUES!

I am going to go through several more power up/down cycles and see if the problems return.
    I will be swapping in all of the amps that demonstrated the same issues.
    There may have been some conflict in the output stage (polarity from the XLR outputs even when not utilized?).

@Nutul - thank you for your responses!

Now that the major issue was resolved(?) on to post a few APP irregularities.

Erland Loyd likes this.
  12. Erland Loyd

Erland Loyd New Member

Awesome! I suspected these settings could be the cause.

13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It's interesting how those settings could affect the output level of the RCAs.
    - RCAs should output 2.1V max.
    - XLRs should output 4.2V max.

Unless it is a design flaw, the selection of the output should just enable, or not, the relevant outputs:
    RCA => output only on RCAs at 2.1V
    XLR => output only on XLRs at 4.2V
    XLR+RCA => output on both, RCAs at 2.1V and XLRs at 4.2V

That is, a situation where we have a 4.2V on RCAs should never be the case...
    IMO this needs investigation, although, from what I can remember, this is the very first time this issue is discovered...

It could be interseting to see if reverting the output as it was, the problem reappears...

Erland Loyd likes this.
  14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity I searched for the above amplifiers input sensitivity, and I think I found some interesting values:

Parasound275
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 800 mV for full rated output (2.5 times lower than the Eversolo output)

Proton D1200
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 1 V (2 times)

Lightstar II
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: low gain, 1.74 V; high gain, 430m V (LG almost OK, HG 4.5 times)

Onkyo M-5030
    INPUT SENSITIVITY: 1 V (2 times)

Noiw, I may not fully understand how the input sensitivity works, I seem to remember that at those voltages you get the maximum power ot of the amp; IMHO only the Lightstar II in low gain mode should eventually self protect at high volume output from the Eversolo; all the others have pretty low voltage sensitivity, and probably engage input protection at far lower input volume levels, say at 50%.

I stand to be corrected though (and maybe understand better input sensitivity...)

Itch likes this.
  15. Itch

Itch Member

I am hoping that this issue doesn't reappear.
    Sending an amp in to protection is not advisable.

The question I have is what type of signal is being outputted by each (digital or analog):

BAL-XLR

Analog-RCA

XLR/RCA

16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It should be as per port type:

single eneded (RCA) is 2.1V
    balnced (XLR) is 4.2V

Then, the combination Analogue-RCA, BAL-XLR, or XLR/RCA just tells what outputs are active. If you have just one amp, and connect to it via RCAs, just use "Analogue-RCA", as you do not need the XLR, neither you need them both together.