Question on Realtek vs. VS10 for HDR10

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Jimbo Randy, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Is there a point to use the VS10 engine on files that are HDR10? I read a review where they compared the quality of realtek and VS10, looking at test patterns, and it seems like VS10 won hands down in all scenarios. However, there was a comment in this AV review thread where someone explained that the increased Chroma quality on the VS10 engine isn't actually noticeable unless you're looking at test patterns. Also, most guides I see say to keep everything on 'auto' which uses the "apparently inferior" realtek engine, as I understand it. Any clarity would be helpful here as I am not understanding whether the recommendation is to use VS10 for HDR10 files, or use 'auto' which uses native realtek.

Additionally, what exactly does 'Display/MaxCLL and MaxFALL' do? I'm seeing conflicting information in this forum whether to disable this or enable it. Can someone please provide some clarity around this as well?

Thanks!

2. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

The Realtek engine is not inferior when outputting files as is..... using Auto... But it is vastly inferior to VS10 if you are asking it to do HDR to SDR conversion or Mapping to HDR and such. Those functions are where VS10 really shines.

vddan likes this.
  3. Jimbo Randy

Why do people claim the VS10 engine looks better on HDR10 content then? Better chroma when looking at test patterns?

4. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I don't know about anyone else but when using VS10 (DV) on HDR10 content, it looks darker and dull and wrong, I'd never use it.

xskip likes this.
  5. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

IDK, but rather than relying on someone else to tell you what looks better.. test it out for yourself.. You are the ultimate judge of what you think looks best on "your" display.... that is why there are so many options on the Z9X ..... for people to set it for what works best on their displays... whether it be a direct view LCD, or OLED or Plasma or large screen projector, etc. All of these devices have their strengths and weaknesses and you can set your HDR and SDR preferences in the Zidoo for what works or looks best. And if so needed, you can load a custom EDID to really dial in the options you are looking for.

Phil181, Netmask, vddan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jimbo Randy

I was hoping to really understand how VS10 display HDR10 vs. how it's displayed natively. From what I've put together, it shows better Chroma on test patterns. Maybe that has something to do with it being transmitted via RGB 8 bit tunnel for TV LED? Maybe that's irrelevant. No idea.