Pre sales X9S questions

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by Counterpoint, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Counterpoint

Counterpoint New Member

I have been eyeing the X9S as a new box replacement but I have a couple of questions regarding functionality.

1. Does the HDMI input allow the capture of 5.1 sound, even if the resulting capture file is in the now free Dolby 5.1 format or is it restricted to 2 channel?

2. If the audio capture is only 2 channel, if the incoming stream is 5.1 or above, does the X9S transcode to 2 channel or does it not recognise 5.1 and above in the first instance?

3. I normally use Kodi for media playback and I have noticed that ZDMC uses an external player for the actual playback. When I have used such a method in the past, whilst external players can do a good enough job, skipping back and forth and general navigation can be fiddly at best. In regular Kodi, I always use a mouse to navigate and with the tiniest movement of the wheel I can skip forward or back 30 seconds or so when required. Does the external player used by Zidoo have the same kind of ease of use navigational functionality as Kodi?

Thanks.

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

1. no. audio 2.0 only, video full HD 30 fps only.
    2. i think its transcoding, but im not 100% sure.
    3. external player is just a optional feature ( not sure why its on by default ) that is broken in latest firmware anyway, i never used it. you can use normal dvdplayer that comes with default kodi and it works good.
    4. there is also the new home theater 2.0 that has it's own library and uses the zidoo player ( external one we are talking about ) zidoo player has good quality if you want to try it out

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  3. Counterpoint

Counterpoint New Member

Thank you for the answers.

With plain Kodi and it's inbuilt player, does this not mean that hardware acceleration features not supported by Kodi on the RTD1295 will result in inferior quality playback?

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

depends, i don't think i found a video that external player can play and kodi can't, but some have a better experience with external. like 3d or bluray with menu's . also, it's ZDMC not kodi, a fork, pure kodi has some things not working properly

5. Counterpoint

Counterpoint New Member

From what I read over at the Kodi forums, they believe that hardware manufacturers should do things in a way so as to be fully compatible with the official product rather than have to go down the line of having to produce forks but it seems that Realtek, amongst others seem not willing to participate in aiding the reuired functionality.

Thank you for the information and assistance though as it has helped me.

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah, im not happy with realtek right now. they suppose to work on proper pass trough api ( so we dont need forks anymore ) but no news yet. and seeing how others fixed this problems months ago. im starting to thing it was a lie