Plex server

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Scubapilot, Mar 31, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Scubapilot

Scubapilot New Member

I am considering investing in a Zidoo product and would like to know if there are any models that can run as a Plex Server not just the Plex Client?

2. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

no. the only android device that can run a plex server is the Nvidia shield pro and its not very good at it, the APK for that is not distributed and it intended only for that specific hardware.

a Zidoo is not designed to run plex player either, it is intended to play the files directly, via local disk or SMB/NFS.
    There is a way to get a plex libray browser on a zidoo that then sends the true file location to the zidoos inbuilt player but it is more of a hack than a feature and only works for plex servers in your local LAN.

3. Scubapilot

Scubapilot New Member

Thank you for the reply. I have been looking long for an alternative to the Shield as a Plex server because it is terrible at it. First gen shield worked fine but not now.
    I have an Epson 5050UB projector and was looking at this product for the great things I have heard about it being able to play 3D mkv files.

4. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

You should look into recycling an old PC into a file server and then either use the shield as just a player, which it is very good at apart from a few minor issues related to its ageing chipset, or look into getting a zidoo and using at as just a player, as it does support significantly better 3d than the shield does, including full resolution frame packed formats apparently but has a few firmware niggles still to be ironed out.

Plex is a limiting factor for dedicated players like the zidoo, the app doesn't natively support the hardware so you have to jump through some hoops to get it to work and even then you lose a lot of plex features, it is better to just play the files directly using the built in player.