Playback of large blu-ray rip files (mkv vc-1 encoding)

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by JoggableSparrow, Mar 11, 2020.

1. JoggableSparrow

JoggableSparrow New Member

Hi, I currently have a T95Z Plus Android TV box which I use Kodi to play my ripped blu-ray files from my PC over the network using Samba. These files were made using MakeMKV from my own collection of blu-ray tv series and movies. I just started ripping these and notice a problem playing back the large (10GB) mkv files on the T95Z. Basically it plays, but it is not quite smooth, it's kind of choppy and "juddering" with the playback, not pleasant to watch, certainly not as smooth as watching the original blu-ray, which is not acceptable. I have tried watching the same files using VLC player on my desktop pc, and they play just fine there, very smooth, so I think this is a problem with the T95Z. I've also tried lots of tweaking the settings in Kodi, but nothing really makes it better (mostly just makes it worse).

Finally I found some comment online about how sometimes this can be caused by the VC-1 encoding that some blu-rays use, and when I checked, these files are indeed VC-1 rather than H264. I don't want to have to re-encode the files, since they are huge and it takes forever even to do just one. So I would like to find another Android TV box that won't have any problem playing these files as they are, i.e. large, MKV, VC-1 encoding, over the network from SMB server.

I found the Zidoo Z9S, or the Z10 on Amazon, they look good but it's not clear if they would handle the VC-1 files any better than my current box. I was wondering if anybody could confirm that the Z9S and/or Z10 would do the job and just allow me to watch these files without any choppy playback, lag or juddering. Is there a reason to go for the Z10 over the Z9S? I don't have a 4K tv, it's a Panasonic Vierra Plasma from 2012, so only 1080p, very nice tv, I don't need to upgrade it for a while. All my blu-rays are just standard 1080p, not 4k.

So will one of these boxes do the job for me? I just want smooth playback of my ripped MKV files, so they look the same as what the original blu-ray looked like - after all that's the whole point of keeping the big file size, no loss of data, so I'd also like no loss of video quality. Please let me know if either one of these boxes will do this, or something else. I just want a plug-and-play solution, I just want Kodi to be able to access my desktop hard drive over my home LAN, that's it, so I can watch my movie and TV collection without having to constantly be getting up to change disks in the player.

Thanks!