Playback issues with MKV files

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Cstmar01, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Cstmar01

Cstmar01 New Member

I’m new to all this so bare with me.

have the z1000pro which I just purchased. For storage I’m using an internal Ironwolf 16TB drive in an external case and using Make MKV.

I ripped a couple of 4Ks as a test (Avengers Infinity War, End Game, Sicaro, Ford v Farrari). I didn’t change any of the MKV settings and had it just back up the file.

When I go to playback a movie it shows up on the poster wall but then the screen goes black and after awhile with no audio or video it says “can’t be played”.

I was just plugging the external HD into the 3.0 USB. Sometimes it recognized it and other times it wouldn’t show external device connected. I tried putting it right into the player but it didn’t seem to recognize it.

I originally formatted the drive using exFAT

not sure where I’m going wrong here. Not sure if it’s the ripping, the file format, or trying to use the external as playback.

I’m considering buying a NAS and using that if it’s just a better way to go.

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I've always steered clear of exFAT. For my internal drives one is formatted as NTFS and the other as EXT4 - I use MakeMKV but I don't use the back up function (whole disc) I just make a MKV file of the main movie and I strip out all unnecessary tracks that I don't need like subs other than English and additional sound tracks. I really don't know if exFAT is the problem, others may know.

thenextvision likes this.
  3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Another possibility is that the backup BDMV is still encrypted. Don't forget to check the option to decrypt the back-up files.

4. Cstmar01

Cstmar01 New Member

OK. This is what I missed. I didn't check that box and didn't know I needed to.

I had just set up a NAS and everything so will attempt to rip again and see what happens. Thank you.

AngryVirginian likes this.
  5. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Certainly re-format the hard drive. Ex-fat is only designed for small removeable flash drives and never recommended for something 16Tb with large files on it!
    NTFS will be your best bet (with GPT partition).

6. Yohmi

Yohmi Member

NTFS might be a more reliable file system but it's just not cross-compatible so unless you're a Microsoft Windows user, it's not a good choice either.
    I use exFAT so it works flawlessly between different operating systems, I didn't experience any issue so far. I'm glad to be lucky because I don't really have another option (except relying on expensive third party software).