Orangi pi with Zidoo image

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X1' started by tibcsi0407, Aug 4, 2015.

1. tibcsi0407

tibcsi0407 Member

Hi all,

I've been surfing today on web, and I've seen an interesting post on orange pi forum.
    They've started to port the Zidoo X1 firmware on their product or at least one of the forum members.
    Link
    I would suggest you to use some extra protection to defend your product. :)
    Misspelled the topic name: *Orange

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Adl

Adl Member

Stay calm, zidoo packages are not working on orange pi.
    I tried on tronsmart h3.

3. tibcsi0407

tibcsi0407 Member

The Tronsmart H3≠ Orange Pi
    Just check the link what I posted, some of the members already use it. They don't have ethernet, but the wifi works.
    The thing you couldn't install on Tronsmart doesn't mean they can't install on their devices...

4. spring

spring Guest

Hi tibcsi:
    Thanks very much.
    We are very honored to more and more people use zidoo's firmware.We are very glad to have more people to use it.We add protection in order to limit other producers to use, and the enthusiast,we are welcome to.

5. tibcsi0407

tibcsi0407 Member

Yes, they can also test it, that can be good but if it would be my software I wouldn't be so happy if somebody "steal" it.
    I think the Zidoo team has a lot of working hours in a firmware like this what I really appreciate. That's why I posted here.

6. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

You do have to bear in mind that Android is open source, so it is inevitable that there will be some ROM's that are used elsewhere and modified for Custom use.

In many ways, if people of other devices see that another vendor produces good quality ROM's then it often means that they will drift across to those vendors products too, so it can be quite the bonus.

You only have to look at most ROM's based upon a specific SOC to see that they are based upon the same SDK that each vendor customises for their own device.

Once tools become available to customise then you will also find drivers being injected into ROM's to make them more cross compatible.

That is one of the natures of Android and to put things into perspective, many vendors do not pay Google the money that they should for access to the Play Store etc, so it is swings and roundabouts.

7. tibcsi0407

tibcsi0407 Member

That's okay under GPL license, but I don't think that the Zidoo firmware is under GPL license. I haven't seen any big company (Samsung, LG, Sony etc.) to modify the others firmware. That would be funny. The base android is free, that's true, but this is not original Android.
    I think that would be fair if they ask Zidoo:
    -Could we modify your firmware?
    And I think because Zidoo is a nice company, they would say:
    -Ofcourse, we can share our experiences.
    And the firmware would be better for everybody. I think the best way to ask first.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Of course it's original Android, otherwise it would not be called Android.

Samsung and all the rest develop their firmwares around the Google SDK.

If you look on the Kodi forums, you will see that they have stated that the custom version of Kodi used is not legal because the source code has to be released immediately upon it's distribution, which according to them has not been done but you have made no comment on that area, so it is swings and roundabouts because many a top name manufacturer has infringed the patents of others, hence the rise in disputes and court cases that we continually see from all the really big market players.

Have a look for yourself at this discussion.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=227837&page=2

As spring has said, it is an honour that others wish to use the firmware, so could actually be of commercial and financial benefit by having the brand talked about more, which brings people to look at the products and more likely purchase because they see a name that they believe has a reputation for producing quality.

We have to look at things from a broader scope to see how things really work, even if, at times it is not the way that they perhaps should.

9. tibcsi0407

tibcsi0407 Member

Yes, but the Kodi klis under GPL. But the other fine tunes, optimizations for the kernel are made by Zidoo. This is why the Kodi not working so good on every H3 device.

10. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Team Kodi would seem to say that anything concerned with Kodi should be open, even if features and optimisations are hidden elsewhere because using Kodi is an integral part of that and therefore falls within the remit of the GPL.

11. tibcsi0407

tibcsi0407 Member

Yes, but we are talking about the FW. The Kodi is just a small part of the whole picture :) . But that's true. I've also read that forum and you are correct, the Kodi modifications are under GPL.
    Anyway, I hope we will get a lot of improvements and we can use the maximum performance of the X1. I really like it :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

The moral of the story though is that if we act in one way for one aspect then we have to consistent across the board in our approach.

I think that we are probably close to maxing out the performance capability of the X1 and for sheer picture quality and depth, nothing that I have used beats it so far out of the box, so that has to be one of the major plus points.