OpenWrt software in a Media Player??

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by videobruce, Dec 29, 2018.

1. videobruce

videobruce Member

I took a closer look at this software function that is inside a Zidoo X10. I noticed it was there , but I never paid any attention to it, puzzled why it was there since this isn't a 'router'. :confused:

Questions;
    1. Is this a Kodi function/feature or something that is in the devices F/W?
    2. This isn't a Router, why is it there? I have a Router (naturally), and it's running dd-wrt (I have used OpenWrt in the past)
    3. What function/purpose does this have? Route what to go where?
    4. When I access this inside of the device, the GUI is very limited as to the number of settings available. BUT, when I access from my PC (desktop), the full interface is available. Why?

2. videobruce

videobruce Member

Anyone?

3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

1) kodi is just a program that play's video. like a VLC that has a library, nothing to do with zidoo. the box OS. or the openwrt. Openwer is installed as second OS that boots at start with the android.
    2) is not for routing, is for sharing your media
    3) see 2
    4) all the settings that are intended are there ( samba share, FTP, downloading with aria2, torrenting, DLNA )

Other than mount settings and the NAS tab, you don't need to mess with anything

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    videobruce likes this.
  4. videobruce

videobruce Member

Thank you for the reply, it clears up most of that. The main reason for the question was I had a problem accessing this Media Player, but I found it was at the PC end.
    Then OpenWrt is part of Zidoo's F/W, correct? I never made a connection between that and media sharing. :oops:

5. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah. it's integrated in zidoo's box firmware. you can use it like a mini NAS,
    i have a 4TB hdd shared through samba, all my movies are accessed from another box in another room and from my PC

6. x9suser

x9suser Member

Hi , can someone explain briefly how I can share my external drives connected to Zidoo X9S with another Android device (with Samba) in another room?

I have very poor grasp of technology and just need the first most important steps to point me in the right direction. Then I can do some reading and research on my own, and seek further help later, with a little more knowledge. TQ.

7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

The other box should see the samba share by default once you turn it on, if not you will need to setup manual connection to \\boxip\disk name

8. x9suser

x9suser Member

Thanks for the video link. But the image is so tiny, I can't make out what is shown on the screen. If I zoom the words are so blurry it hurts my eyes trying to focus. On top of that, the screen instructions move so fast I can't keep up.

Anyway you can provide another link to a more watchable video. Thanks.

9. videobruce

videobruce Member

Something as involved and complicated (for most) as that, should NOT be a U-Boob video. All of that should be done using screen shots and detailed text. But, then again that take s more work and it can't be done on a toy phone. :rolleyes:
    It's way to hard to follow the moving cursor and listen at the same time.

I downloaded the video, I'm going to see if I can compose a meaningful, printable version.

10. videobruce

videobruce Member

x9suser;
    Are you using the eSATA port or are you using a USB with an enclosure w/ a HDD?

11. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

the video is tiny ? wtf. open in on youtube and make it full screen, its screen capture at 1080p.

pause where you need or watch it at x 0.25 speed

keep in mind, this video was done in 2017, around the launch of x9s, and it was good for allot of users. :p

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  12. x9suser

x9suser Member

Hi, I can use both, but prefer usb powered docking bay.