Not playing DV on files with re-encoded audio

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Joe C, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Joe C

Joe C Member

Having a really weird issue. Both my new TV's don't pass DTS (thanks LG) and for some time now I've been remuxing files so they only have the highest quality audio available - be that the TrueHD/Atmos or the DTS-HD MA/X track - and scrapped everything else to reduce file size. I hit the problem that when playing anything that has a DTS track, my Sonos Arc wouldn't play it.

Tried going down the HDFury Arcana route, but that was too unreliable as it would stop working after a power down, so used FFmpeg to convert the DTS tracks to EAC3 without touching the video (used the command ffmpeg -i <input file> -map 0 -c copy -acodec eac3 -b:a 960k -ac 6 <output file>)

All went well until this morning I noticed that any file that is Dolby Vision and has had a DTS track re-encoded now only plays as HDR10 on my Z1000 Pro. It's detected by HT4.0 as a DV file and displays the correct tags, but won't play in it. If I try the same file on my Shield TV 2019, it plays in DV fine.

Any suggestions?

2. Joe C

Joe C Member

Well, in order to answer my own question, I don't actually know why it happened - but putting it through MakeMKV fixed it.

Trying MKVToolNix now as well

3. Joe C

Joe C Member

MKVToolNix doesn't fix it