Not detecting HDD

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by jt5298, Jan 21, 2024.

1. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Yes. Thank you very much for helping me try to figure this out. I should have just formatted with my SATA cable first:)
    I posted a question about subtitles, "Help understanding subtitles" wondering if you could help me?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Not quite sure if that would work. When I had this issue the hidden partition would stay there all the time and Windows format would not remove it. I tried different formats but Zidoo would not see the drive until I removed this partition manually. Formatting the drive will apply drive information within existing disk layout or portion. You would need hard drive manufacturer utility to reset the drive to factory blank or another utility that shows those system or unknown small partitions.

The only interesting part would be to know if removing this partition and formatting again using docking station: a) fixes the drive, b) doesn't fix the drive, c) brings the hidden portion back.
    Just to narrow it down to the root cause. Maybe it was the issue with Mini Partition Wizard that didn't line things up correctly. I didn't have to connect my drive to SATA port on the computer. It worked with USB adapter but the drive was small 4TB only.
    Sorry, I'm not an expert on the subtitles and settings. Some subtitles are text based can be manipulated (colour, font, size and position). The graphic based subtitles coming from disks are fixed. Those could be converted. Didn't get deep into it. I'm sure someone has good knowledge to help you out.

3. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Thanks. No one has replied yet. I know my PGS subs can be moved because I was able to do it. It seems if I am ripping the movie to BDMV format it is exactly the same as if I burned it to disc and played it in my standalone player. I just need the correct setting to display them correctly.

4. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Hello @Nice Monkey and @3DBuff

I am having the same exact issue with my new Z2000 Pro I just purchased. It will not recognize the internal drive using a brand new (Seagate IronWof Pro 3.5 16 TB Internal Drive).
    It will recognize fine it, when I plug it in the front using the 2 available usb 2.o ports in front.
    I currently have it in a Sabrent USB 3.0 Sata hard drive docking station. It will not recognize it internally at all !

I initially formatted it using Windows 11. After reading several articles and threads on this site, I wiped it completely, and used Windows 10.
    I formatted it again and initialize the disk with GPT and File system: NTFS, same as before

Also, thanks to @3DBuff, I discovered the 15.98 mb Microsoft hidden partition using EaseUS application and removed that, thanks! I thought this was finally going to fix it but it still does not recognize the drive internally, so I reformatted it again and it still does not recognize internally.

I hear the hard drive spinning while in the player, but nothing.

Model: Z2000 Pro
    Version v1.0.58 (try to do an online update and everything shows that it is current)

Not sure what else to try, unless the docking station is causing the issue, but it doesn’t appear to be the case if it recognizes it using the USB ports.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Don’t want to have to send this back.

Attached is a picture of when it is connected using the USB port, and when it is inserted into drive. I would like to use it internally as designed. Look forward to anyone’s feedback

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  5. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Couple of things you could do before giving up on the drive.

1. Check if the SATA connector is working inside your Z2000 Pro. Just use any small hard drive, 2.5" from old laptop would do. Stick anything inside and check if you see it. It could be with existing data, don't need to format.

2. Don't use docking station to format the drive. If you don't have GParted Linux based ready to use you could try Mini Partition Wizard to investigate and remove all partitions on the drive. Use internal SATA connector on desktop computer for cleaning the partitions and formatting. USB to SATA adapters are hit and miss. I have one small adapter SATA to USB 3.0 with external power supply. It works for me with drives over 16 TB. Multi drive docking station is more likely to generate custom partition on the drive.

6. jt5298

jt5298 Member

I had to use the SATA connector to format my drive before it would recognize it. I tried the docking station as well and it wouldn't recognize it, even after deleting the Microsoft hidden partition.

I have a Dell computer that did not come with an Optical (Blu-ray, DVD drive). I purchased an internal LG drive and put it on top of my Desktop PC. I know kind of weird but it works. I connected the SATA cable in the PC and ran it outside the desktop through a hole and plugged it into my Blu-ray drive. I used this SATA cable to format my WD 16TB drive. If you are using a desktop and have an optical drive you can disconnect it and plug it into your HDD and format it that way. I used the Mini Partition Wizard software to format my drive and it works perfectly now.

I don't know why the external docking station will not format it properly either, but the bottom line is you need to use the internal SATA cable to format it.

3DBuff likes this.
  7. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Thanks for the feedback, Unfortunately I don’t have a 2.5” hard drive to currently test it. I may have to pick one up.

I don’t have GParted, but I do have EaseUs which is a partition software and I was able to remove the Microsoft 15.98 mb partition that was hidden in Windows. I reformatted it again last night and the 15.98 partition came back (see attached).

Since I currently have several laptops, and unfortunately no desktops available would using a SATA to USB cable with no docking station work with a laptop?
    The drive I am currently using is Seagate IronWof Pro 3.5 16 TB Internal Drive -it is brand new

So is my only option to use internal SATA connector on desktop computer for cleaning the partitions and formatting?

Does anyone know if using a laptop has ever worked with a SATA to usb cable?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  8. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Hi, thanks for the information. From what I am reading the only way is using an internal SATA cable inside of a desktop computer? Does anyone know if it has worked using a laptop computer at all?

9. jt5298

jt5298 Member

I would think a SATA cable from a laptop would work. You just need to figure out how to hook it up. I have not tried unfortunately, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm 99% positive your Seagate HDD is not the problem.

10. RoyV67

RoyV67 New Member

If you connect through Samba in the zidoo menu you will see that the zidoo will access and mount your HDD’s.

when you return to home menu afterwards you’ll see them mounted in poster wall and accessible.

little work around …. But it works

11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I have one of those simple USB to SATA adapters with power for 3.5" hard drives. It works with the laptop and I formatted Seagate Exos 16TB drive with it. The drive is connected currently to Zidoo Z9X SATA connector. The adapter was from Alixpress but very similar to this one from Amazon link. Just make sure it's rated for large capacity drives. I can send a picture of the one I have later when I get home.

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Are you saying to physically install the drive in another NAS station or plug into Zidoo own SATA connector and activate Samba share. I don't think you could search for and connect through Samba in media browser or any other way if the drive is not visible.

13. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Thanks, this is what I was going to buy at first, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE&th=1 but didn’t know if this cable would be efficient enough.

14. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

The first option from Amazon product page won't work. There is not enough power in USB ports to power up full size 3.5" hard drive. You need to have adapter with external power supply.

This is the one that I bought in 2021 on Alixpress. It has 12V port at the back. Power adapter is from my old router. This model is not available anymore as most of the stuff from Ali a year later. On my old order and product page it says:
    Brand Name: TZCable
    Model Number: YS-390

I formatted my recent Seagate Exos 16TB from laptop under Windows 11 NTFS. No issues at all connected to SATA port on Zidoo.
    U9a5c58f1b3ab4b6fa5635842b7940c1d8.jpg

IMG_8846.JPG

15. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

Thanks again for your guidance! I am ordering one from Amazon tonight will keep you posted!

16. K. Matt

K. Matt New Member

So that did the trick! @3DBuff, I just received my cable from Amazon based off of your recommendation and reformatted the drive again and it FINALLY recognized the drive!! Thank you so much for all your help and assistance!

3DBuff likes this.
  17. jt5298

jt5298 Member

Glad you got it working. :)