Newbie connection question

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by Martin Phillips, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Martin Phillips

Martin Phillips New Member

Hi all, looking to purchase the DMP-A6 with a DAC-Z6 or 8. Can you tell me what cables I require to do this?
    Also, how would I set up the DMP to best use the DAC or visa-versa?
    Thanks in advance
    Martin

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Use the USB cable included in the Z6/Z8 packjage and you're good to go.
    There is no other settings you need to tackle with to "best use the DAC".
    Select USB as output on the A6.
    You'll be using the external DAC, so the A6's DAC will be "dead" for you.

3. Martin Phillips

That's great and thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

So that’s raised another question, since I’ll be bypassing the A6 DAC and instead will use the (I assume inferior) Z8 DAC, it renders the A6 as nothing more than a means to stream music? Something I could achieve just by using my phone?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    Nutul likes this.
  4. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

In your case, i would neglect the Z8 (a very good DAC indeed) and just use the A6 or A6-ME standalone. The A6 has a very capable DAC included and you have the advantage of the shortest interconnect cable runs possible, none. There is no need for an external DAC.

Nutul likes this.
  5. Martin Phillips

Thanks Richard,
    I guess my aim is to listen to the A6 through headphones rather than a speaker setup hence the thought behind the Z8. Not sure if that defeats the purpose of the A6 though or how best to tackle it?

6. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

Well, there are lot's of ways you can tackle the "problem", without spending a leg and an arm. The most bang for the buck, imho would be a WIIM Pro Plus and a dedicated headphone amp, for example the SPL Phonitor One. This combination would set you back approx. 700€. Another choice could be the A6 combined with the SMSL M500 MK III, but why spend the money on two DAC's. Another alternative would be to take your most likely existing smartphone, buy the App "USB Audio Player Pro" and a good USB Headphone AMP like the Chord Mojo 2 for example. In case you want to go the extra mile take the A6-ME and connect it via XLR to a really good Headphone AMP, like the Violectric HPA V202.

Martin Phillips likes this.