New user having problems

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by barrykap, Mar 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. barrykap

barrykap New Member

First of all I seem to be in an entirely different world to most of you who post on here. Let me explain;- I am only interested in playing back my video files (either MP4 copies from a satbox of TV shows or my own cameras etc home-made stuff). I am not interested in blockbuster 'movies' or such like. All my files are located on a number of NAS drives which I have been playing back uisng a Mediator streamer which has been brilliant. But I thought getting a Zidoo Z9X would give me more options and of course better quality in playing the 4K stuff (which the M8 won't handle).
    OK? So I now have a Zidoo Z9X and am having problems already. eg; What the hell are 'posters'? :) I don't want anything 'flashy' at all to display except just the file folders of my NAS drives. I have about 16 Nas's so far on my LAN, all with unique IP addresses. All with the same username and password. In the M8 I simply logged onto a drive with username/password and then find my folder. I then created a 'Favourite' icon which in the future takes me directly to the folder on the particular drive without having to log on to the drive then tab through from the root folders etc. I have been trying without success to emulate the same method with the Z9X but have given up on it. If I try to add a new device in SMB I can get to the log-on window which I painfully (HATE the keyboard pop-up) type in username and password. But it always reports 'incorrect username and password'. So I try adding a device with the actual ip address of the Nas (in the server box), followed by the username and password (once again using the very laborious displayed keyboard) but again I am thrown out. I can only at the moment get to my files on my Nas's by EACH TIME logging on to the drive via Plug&Play then tabbing from the root down to the lower folder I want. Not very good and defeats the object of a quick player.
    As I said I am NOT in any way familiar with these modern media players, being in my late 70's now and showing it here. :) I am sure there is a way to do what I want it to do, but just cannnot find it. Of course the 'user manual' supplied is next to useless. It's a shame as the device looks very good and I am impressed with the various settings - if only I knew how to use them.
    It would be great if there were a detailed comprehensive manual available for ignorants like me. :) Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. MSG56

MSG56 New Member

I'm new to this whole scene too and was having the same problem with the "incorrect username and password" when taking the SMB route. In fact, once I entered a password, I could figure out how to delete it and try again! Anyhow, I wrote to support and told them I was having trouble adding content from my QNAP NAS. The sent me instructions (which I had to decipher) to change settings on the NAS and use NFS instead of SMB and I was finally able to move forward. I agree there needs to be a better manual for newbies. I can't even figure out how to move from an input field (for a new category) to the OK button. The virtual keyboard doesn't have a tab key.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  3. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

What SMB levels are enabled on your 16 NASes? Zidoo is SMB2 IIRC.

4. MSG56

MSG56 New Member

My one and only NAS has SMB 2 as the lowest version and SMB 3 set is the highest version. I don't know about "IIRC".

5. Gramophone

Gramophone Member

Honestly said, from what you describe, what your needs are, an ATV would be the better choice for you.
    The Zidoo will always look for videos, that have an nfo entry. So precisely movies and stuff, that you don’t want.
    There is a cool app called infuse on the ATV, which will serve you needs much better.
    I personally love the posterwall of the Zidoo. But I am not using own videos :)