New A8 Owner w/ Question

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Signal to Noise, Dec 12, 2023.

1. I originally was leaning towards the A6 but lack of analog inputs and remote was keeping me from committing. Then it was only a week ago that I saw the A8 existed and is already released into the wild. Lots of boxes ticked with this model. So ordered last week and received the A8 yesterday, two days ahead of expected delivery time.

A8 replaces an aged, yet still somewhat capable, Cambridge CXN (first gen) that I’ve had for something like 7 years. Streamer is connected to NAD C368 which has Bluesound module so audio comparisons inevitable.

It took some fiddling but I got it all set up. I slapped in a 1TB NVME SSD for local playback of only the highest of high-res files. When the SSD is installed the cover plate is a little off when tightened down. Doesn't seem to be an issue since the SSD is recognized in the Storage settings so connection isn't compromised.

Overall the unit is indeed well-built and easy on the eyes in the media stand. I am fine with the 6" display.

I also subscribe to ROON and have read that A8 is still undergoing ROON certification which is great. I am pleased to see ROON does see the A8 as an endpoint but recognized as “other device” or something to that effect. Haven’t tried playing anything yet from ROON but that’ll be next in line of the listening trials.

Sound-wise, using analog out, it is fantastic for the room it's in. Only thing I think is odd is there is no Volume Pass-Through for the XLR/RCA output. All other outputs have the option. Apparently the A6 has pass-through for its same output but I'm only basing off other comments on various A6 discussions. So I have to have the A8 volume dialed to max, then use the NAD volume as normal. Is there a chance the Pass-Through can be added via Firmware update? Or is it not possible due to physical hardware design?

I look forward to learning more about this piece of audio equipment.

TIA

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The volume control on the A8 is TOTALLY in the analog domain, so even if it had a pass-through, it would be essentially the equivalent of turning the volume knob all the way up.
    Moreover, its volume control is a SOTA one, hence if I were you I'd use IT instead of the one on the NAD... - BTW, the NAD gets analog in, and gives analog out, without digitizing anything to apply, say, DSP of sort, right? otherwise you'd be throwing the A8's DAC (a wonderful implementation with the top-of-the-line AKM chip) straight into the bin...

Signal to Noise likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Nutul!

Yes, according the research I did prior to buying the C368, the signal path is 100% analog beginning to end. I absolutely want to take full advantage of the A8 DAC, otherwise I would have likely gone with an other streamer option.

In order to utilize the A8 volume I guess I'll have to find the "fine line" of the NAD volume level I can preset to as a min/max. The good thing is the C368 allows Variable/Fixed volume settings by source, defaulting to -20dB. More testing I suppose. If the wife/kid is using the NAD (they won't be using the A8) I don't want them coming to me or calling me at the office "Hey! I can't hear anything!";)

What do you mean by "SOTA"? An acronym or brand name?

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  4. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

“State Of The Art”

5. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

I just took delivery of an A8 yesterday that will replace a Cambridge 851n….
    as good as the 851 is - and it’s pretty darn good - i have high hopes for the A8 when I get it fully set up .

bk

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Then I think you are safe, as you will have a dedicated input for the A8. Then, to calibrate the volume, this is more or less acknowledged way of doing it:
    1. turn the A8's volume all the way up (TBH I'd keep it just one-click less... yes, it clicks)
    2. listen to some music, and turn the volume of the NAD far high as you'd possibly be ever listening to (the NAD will remember this, right?)
    3. Now you can regulate the volume on your A8, and it will be going feom 0 to NAD-MAXed

7. ^
    Got it all set up. I ended locking the NAD volume @ 0 dB for default start up. The A8 volume is a good level @ -20 dB and floor/wall vibrating @ 0 dB. Will play around more with it. Could probably put the NAD to +5 or +10.

Definitely a change of routine for me operating volume control this way but I can live with it. On a funny note, the clicky R2R volume dial is going to take some time to gain appreciation from the family.

Nutul likes this.
  8. Alan Richey

Alan Richey New Member

My A8 is arriving next week! Replacing Cambridge Audio DACMagic 200 and my computer (MacBook Pro). I can’t wait!