Music Player scraping not working properly

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Thomas H, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Thomas H

Thomas H New Member

The Music Player functionality is at least as important to me as the video-playing capabilities of my Z2000 Pro (running fw 1.0.75). And while I have no issues with playing videos I am frustrated by some bugs in the Music Player, and the basic design of handling music data.

I have since several months back reported Music Player data display issues related to certain characters causing corrupted display of data, for which Zidoo have released no improvement so far (I have both e-mailed them as well as posted here). But here's to hoping that this area of issues is addressed in the next fw release! :)

I have now also discovered that when scraping the music library for updates, data does not update properly. Since the Music Player is also displaying "technical" data about the files played that data also needs to be properly scraped and updated (e.g. file size, bit rate etc).

In the Music Player "Scan" settings, I have "Matching settings" set to "Only use local data" (as my files all have all the needed data in the ID3 tags, nor do I trust whatever sources Zidoo are using for scraping to be able to provide correct data).

I have checked "Automatic updating..." to not have to trigger scraping manually as I update the music library pretty much every day.

Now on to the bug: a fairly common scenario for me is to upgrade from 16-bit to 24-bit files, and that change is not reflected in the data displayed after scraping. These files are still displayed as being 16-bit. The folder and file names used are the same but file size and time stamp are (of course) very different so should be no issue to pick it up in the scraping.

If I delete the 16-bit files, scrape, add the 24-bit files and scrape again data is displayed correctly. The same if I use a new folder name. But those workarounds should not be needed.

And I again want to object that use of the scraping function/music index is required to get music data to display reasonably well (the character bugs reported disregarded). If not scraping it's a complete disaster even though the ID3 tags contain correct and complete data.

I understand that scraping and building an index is needed for the "Music Wall" (for lack of a better term) but I absolutely do not want to access my music through that, for many reasons. One being that I have a large music library (thousands of records with tens of thousands of files).

Navigating the "Music Wall" takes much longer than my preferred way of navigating, through the file browser (where I can also have any structure I want, to help me navigate in my preferred way).

And, due to the character handling bugs mentioned, not all artists/albums show up in the "Music Wall" anyway (!)... So those records are inaccessible through there anyhow.

Zidoo, please give the user an option to skip the index generated by scraping and instead have the Music Player read the actual ID3 tags and "technical" attributes of the files when playing them, and just display that data in the player interface.

Or fix the problems with scraping and display of data!

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024