Mac OS X High Sierra SMB Compatability

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by mdl, Jul 27, 2018.

1. mdl

mdl New Member

Is there difficulty with connecting the x9s to a mac running OS X 10.13.5 (high sierra) via SMB? I tried for hours to get it to connect and only got an invalid user name/password error. The server showed up (though my other similar mac did not). I know Ive had issues in the past related to this, but i thought they had been resolved. I even tried to install SMBup to and that would not install (just hangs).

Any ideas? I'm running the latest firmware, and started with the firmware 2 iterations prior to that before updating. Still nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. JohnS

JohnS Member

Hi I’m on high Sierra and not having problems. I have set smb as guest and not using any paswd. I know it’s not recommend but it works. Also check if your password has any special character and change it to a more simple one

3. mdl

mdl New Member

John, thanks for the reply. I wish I had thought to do that, because it was definitely password related. Yeah I made about as simple a pass as you could imagine and it still would not accept it. Tried for hours. Ended up going back to Yosemite and installed smbup, which worked fine. Smbup will not install on high Sierra as it turns out. So I guess there is an incompatibility there, if the developer wishes to persue a fix. Thanks again John !

4. JohnS

JohnS Member

So if your Mac supports Sierra or High Sierra upgrade to it. But first try to make a guest (with no credentials) smb connection. Even with Yosemite you should try it, you won’t need any third app to connect with your Zidoo. As long as you don’t use any port forward for remote access, you can minimize the security risks from using smb without password.
    Don’t stay on an older OS X just for an app!

5. mdl

mdl New Member

Well, I was on high Sierra already. I did make a guest account on my other Mac (also high Sierra) and tried to log on that way. I used “guest” as the logon name and left the password empty and still it errored with “wrong login name or password “. So, guest doesn’t seem to be working on my other Mac with the x9s. Am I missing something?

6. JohnS

JohnS Member

When I ll be back home I’ll a give you a guide how exactly I did it

7. mdl

mdl New Member

Thank you John !

8. JohnS

JohnS Member

I suppose you have enabled smb sharing through OpenWrt, if not go to "zidoo-ip/cgi-bin/luci" in your browser (default user pass is root - root) then on the top menu go to Nas Services --> Samba (as in pic 0440)

Then at the samba menu you should see all the attached drive mounting points (marked as 1 in image 0437). Press edit on each one and enable guest account (pic 0438) then 'save and apply' - do this for every mounted disk you want to share as guest-
    Finally enable samba (number 3 on pic 0437) and press ''save and apply''
    No on your Mac you should see on your finder the 'openwrt' on shared devices. if you press to connect to it on the pop up window just enable ""Connect as Guest'' as in last pic.
    This is how it works for me since day one, never had any problems. I didn't tried with a password protected share but feel free to try. Let me know if you have any questions

Attached Files:

9. mdl

mdl New Member

John, thank you for the explanation and the screen shots.

I did not enable SMB on OpenWrt. In fact I did not touch openwrt at all. What did work was installing SMBUp on the mac, which installs Samba (a version of SMB for the Mac). That works fine. Now, your method looks like it takes a different route, tho I believe a version of SMB is already running on the X9S. I am guessing that the OpenWrt version of SMB is more up to date than the version running outside of OpenWrt on the zidoo (that is, it's running SMB3 vs. SMB 1 or 2). According to my research, when Samba changed the licensing restrictions, Apple went with their own version of SMB protocol, which is increasingly incompatible with older versions.

If I decide to go and load High Sierra back on my mac mini server, I will give OpenWrt a shot.

Thanks again,
    Mark

10. JohnS

JohnS Member

You’re welcome!
    The smb version running out of the box is the android one. The proper more stable and more configurable I believe is the OpenWrt’s. Give it a try BEFORE you upgrade to High Sierra just to be sure