LPS Mod DMP-A6

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Milky, Jul 6, 2023.

1. homan272

homan272 New Member

Originally the A6 is coming with a +/- 12V switching power supply. Since the A6 for me is purely a transport and I’m not intended to use it's internal DAC. Basically, I don’t need the -12V power rail which is only feeding to the OPAMP in the analog section. That’s why the way I implemented the LPS mod is only providing a +12V but eliminated the -12V power supply. Also, a cap in the -12V rail was removed preventing it from pops up just in case. If you need the function of the DAC and analog in the A6, the modification could be much more complicated.

Here are what I used for the LPS mod:
    •External +12V LPS from LHY Audio
    •LC filter module from LHY Audio
    •5.5/2.5 DC connector
    •PAE2.0 connector and pins connecting to the A6’s mainboard
    •The wires between all the connection
    •A decent aluminum box putting the filter module in can help to provide a backplate in order to support the 5.5/2.5 connector installation

I ordered all the items above from Taobao online in China. You should be able to source more or less the same items on Aliexpress as well. Basically, all kinds of +12V LPS could work as intended. The LC filter module is not a must but theoretically can help to further eliminate any noise induced in the power path before entering the mainboard.

Stix17 and atomic garden like this.
  2. Daphan

Daphan New Member

@himan272 I am keen on following your footsteps and do this mod.

are you able to expand this "Basically, I don’t need the -12V power rail which is only feeding to the OPAMP in the analog section. That’s why the way I implemented the LPS mod is only providing a +12V but eliminated the -12V power supply. Also, a cap in the -12V rail was removed preventing it from pops up just in case. If you need the function of the DAC and analog in the A6, the modification could be much more complicated." a little more?

which cap did you remove and also how did you wire the connectors? some closed-up photos would be great.

atomic garden likes this.
  3. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Thank you for the details. Exquisite work!

A little more details, as requestes by @Daphan would be appreciated :)

4. homan272

homan272 New Member

There are 4 opamps working as the IV after the DACs. They are the OP1642 which is a dual opamp requires a +12V and -12V power supply. Since I only intended to use my A6 as a transport output digital signal by USB. Function or not the DAC or the opamps is not that matter to me. That’s why I decided not to worry about the -12V power supply but just added a single +12V LPS. Anyway, even if I don’t feed a -12V supply to the opamps. They will likely just pull down the single +12V to +6V and -6V and that’s why I removed the cap in the -12V power rail just in case. I didn’t try the XLR/RCA output yet since I don’t want any funny thing happens with my integral amp though. If you need the DAC function of the A6, you better consider feeding a -12V LPS along with the +12V LPS.

The cap being removed is one of the 470uf Nichicon gold cap highlighted in red in the photo. Sorry I didn’t take any photo after the cap being removed.

upload_2023-8-11_10-18-23.png

Regarding to the connector pin alignment, they printed the voltage (+12V, -12V, 5VD, 5VD, GND, GND) besides the corresponding connector on the switching power supply board. The interesting thing is that the switching power supply only provides a +12V and -12V supply. On the other hand, the +12V, 5VD, 5VD pins on the mainboard are all shorted with each other. Which telling me the +12V supply feeding to the mainboard is going to distribute to the opamps and other LDOs further step down to 5V and 3.3V for all the digital components. You can simply wire the LPS supply to the +12V and GND on the mainboard connector. For me I wired two wires to the +12V and 5VD and two wires to the two GND instead.

upload_2023-8-11_10-18-35.png

Pls understand any kind of modification is likely going to void the warranty. I don’t know if every A6 being produced is the same and able to implement the same modification. Also, I can’t guarantee the longevity of the machine with the way I modified even though it’s working stable at the moment. Pls take your own risk if you decide to conduct any kind of modification. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    atomic garden likes this.
  5. Daphan

Daphan New Member

@homan272 awesome thanks for the info.
    are you able to explain the concept of -12v in this scenario to an electronic dummy ?
    I assume this is a separate power source that produces a -12v DC, in this case, where would the ground go?

6. homan272

homan272 New Member

I'm not an expert of electronic either. Here is a typical +12/-12V regulated power supply circuit for your reference. The "ground" you mentioned is the 0V in between the +12V and -12V output. You may need a different regulating module like the one in the photo below instead the one i used in my modification.

upload_2023-8-12_10-37-2.png

upload_2023-8-12_10-33-55.png

Attached Files:

7. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

8. Muhammad Naveed

Muhammad Naveed New Member

But need to know the original manufacturer of the power supply used in the streamer, why they hide it, what is special in it that they need to hide

9. homan272

homan272 New Member

I guess they are not trying to hide anything. The power supply in the DMP A6 is a switching power supply which looks very similar to the power supply of your notebook computer. They put a casing on top of the components mainly because of appearance or shielding purpose instead.

Nutul likes this.
  10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

More shielding than appearance, but it also looks cleaner enclosed that way.

11. DudeMusic

DudeMusic New Member

Desmodromic and Inti like this.
  12. Don1023

Don1023 New Member

My lps for the Eversolo is on order and paid for. I will report the sound once it arrives and in install. My master edition is already pretty good so hoping for a next level

DudeMusic likes this.
  13. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

Before too much snake oil goes into it, I think it would be a good idea to measure the ripple voltage on both the Eversolo power supply and the new linear power supply, it is not certain that the difference is that big when it comes down to it

Nutul likes this.
  14. uncola

uncola New Member

I just installed the beatechnik LPS and it's a noticeable upgrade!

enisio, Jjb067 and Desmodromic like this.
  15. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

Would you tell us what you have noticed?

16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

No. Please. Don't. Start. This. Thing, Again.
    I'll tell you here, straight away:

The sound was cleaner, the soundstage wider and taller and deeper, the bass more punchy and tight, more defined. The instruments more separated, clearlt placed on stage.
    The sound was more open, airy, and the background pitch-black.

That is / will be.

P.S.
    Please, feel free to correct me if I missed something...

17. Inti

Inti Active Member

More 3D

Nutul likes this.
  18. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

:p:p:p

And there is a curtain pulled away...

Nutul likes this.
  19. Ghostnotes

Ghostnotes New Member

Interesting concept, but without hard data.....................

Nutul likes this.