Linux on X6 Pro?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by hetz, Aug 18, 2016.

1. hetz

hetz New Member

I've seen some reviews on GeekBox 4K and that it has an Ubuntu Linux which you can switch to (it's in the reboot menu)
    So I was wondering: the X6 Pro is pretty much the same as the GeekBox in terms of chips - it has RK3368, 2GB RAM, 8GB Flash etc..

Will Zidoo ever release a Linux image for the X6 Pro? I think it could be a really great little box for some Linux testing and probably a nice graphics terminal..

Thanks

2. cobra78

cobra78 Member

You should build your own Linux firmware from Geekbox source.
    Just change the wifi drivers in the kernel and add the wifi firmware files to the rootfs.
    I don't think Zidoo will release Linux.

3. Exxex

Exxex New Member

Hello

Did you ever get Ubuntu to work on your X6 Pro?

My X6 Pro ended up on the shelf after 1 month due to terrible video performance (no HD in Netflix and similar services, constant video-freezes in the svtplay app, and when streaming higher bitrates in KODI over the LAN). Wi-Fi had to be turned off the first day! I am thinking of using the X6 Pro box as an openVPN server instead. Might as well make something useful of it...

Kind regards
    Exxex

4. Exxex

Exxex New Member

Update

Couldn't wait :) I managed to load the standard GeekBox Lubuntu V160309 distribution in the X6 Pro and boot it up to the desktop screen. However no USB peripherals work, Ethernet card lights up as active but do not negotiate DHCP, Wi-Fi says it works and it finds available networks, but without USB there's no good way to actually check that.

Perhaps someone can guide me how to tweak the GeekBox img-file with some additional drivers? (preferably USB)

Kind regards
    Exxex