LAN WIFI WOL DCHP AP Openwrt

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by flyingpeter, Feb 26, 2017.

1. flyingpeter

flyingpeter New Member

Hey guys!

I've been testing my x9s and i found a lack of information in subjects like DHCP/Openwrt Network/Wifi... etc.

I've been collection some information and i will share my little knowledge to make easier to new users to find all the information they need to setup their boxes.

If you find some errors in my explanations please correct me and i will keep this topic updated to make it even more clear.

At the end i will give my suggestions to the builders: zidoo team.

About wake-on-lan, WOL: when you suspend or shutdown the X9S, the network module turns off, so i suppose its not possible with the actual OS architecture.

OpenWRT Network tab is not available. It means we have no control of the dhcp server and lan settings. The X9S its like a mobile phone and all the network setups are almost identical of the ones you find in your Android Phone. It has some nice features but not a router/AP substitute.

WiFi. If you want to setup X9S to be an access point it will work nicely. Only at 2.4ghz. The 5ghz AP its not possible (always light grey and unable to click it).

You can setup your AP, but it will only work with your zidoo box turned on. You can set it up to automaticaly turn on when you connect your X9S, or turn it on only when you need it.

If you want to join a wifi network from your X9S, here is the place where you can use 2 or 5ghz.

--------------------------------------------------

To Zidoo Team:
    Give a user control of the Network preferences would turn X9S even more perfect. If the box were always on, we could setup the Network preferences at Openwrt instead of at Android that is more limited. This way it would have a Access Point always available and a NAS always On.
    X9S would be able to be a DHCP server and control all the network.
    For that you should redesign the way your android and openwrt are linked, but i think that this box would increase a lot its value.

So, resuming: Openwrt should be always on. The network preferences should be controled by Openwrt.

Android would shutdown and wakeup normaly, and because the system was always on, a WOL for android would be this way possible.

Well, thats my contribute for now. Help me keep this post updated in subjects related with LAN/WAN settings!

Best regards to all!

freeroc and Wang like this.
  2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

already talked about openwrt/network always one.(android off) The answer was : nope: to hard to implement. They designed openwrt to work like the old nasskit on the x9. ( focus on samba/dlna/torrent) not as a router. They may implement the accespoint part,if enough people ask for it ( but don't hold your breath over it ).

Pelayo likes this.
  3. flyingpeter

flyingpeter New Member

i think its a matter or redesign the "power" button of android.

If all the software is designed based on android we cant just stop it. But we can stop services and manage the processor performance on a power button click. if you think it that way, all the other things start to make sence:
    wol magic packet enable android services, AP always on, dhcp server to manage a network, nas disk always on...

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Well. I think originaly I asked for the sleep function to be a box on with HDMI off. Or just make a new function.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

And the answer was : to hard to do.

6. Pelayo

Pelayo Member Beta test group

I would love to have a 5Ghz access point and be able to set up a great extra for zidoo x9s.

7. flyingpeter

flyingpeter New Member

we will have to wait to the developers to read our consensual needs and hopes and maybe they will see that their product could be even better!

hey guys, what did you think about this post? i was thinking in doing the same to other areas like screen mirroring, nas, bluetooth capabilities, etc, always explaining the potenciality of the product, tutorials..., and giving zidoo's team suggestions to improve our x9s.

who's in?;)

8. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

My 2 cents:
    I think highest priority is that Zidoo developers will solve (almost ?) all really existent bugs / issues. In the phisical limit of the box HW all advertised features must work.
    When all is solved, any other additional feature is higly welcome!
    And in my mind WOL or make X9S something like a router or AP is at the lower priority possible.
    I repeat, this is my mind. But I think a lot of other user agree with me.
    Of course, if adding this features is possble and easy, and don't slow down other issues debugging (or, worse, create other issues or problems), it's OK!

freeroc likes this.
  9. flyingpeter

flyingpeter New Member

I understand and i agree with you. i think you didnt get my point. I want to make things easier to new users as i am. i bought my x9s and i found no information about lots of things related with the software. my point is to clarify all of them. as i do it (to clarify users all the potentialities of our x9s), we can report errors and give suggestions to the zidoos team. thats my point. nothing more!

freeroc likes this.
  10. Hello,
    I am a new owner of X9S too and i find it very frustrating not to be able to use the WiFi as AP. I think that it is the most important feature to fix. Specially when the "Wifi 802.11ac dual band" is marketed so much in the specs!