JPlay control app

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Signal to Noise, Mar 25, 2024.

1. I just stumbled upon “JPlay” music controller (UPnP) app when looking for something to use with Minimserver and/or Asset UPnP DLNA (dBpoweramp). I am looking to move away from ROON.

At first I thought JPlay was related to JRiver Media, but it isn’t. JPlay finds all audio endpoints in my household, including the DMP-A8. It however does not see any BluOS devices but that’s okay. While the Eversolo app is decent it can be a bit fiddly, especially with selecting tracks and adding to a queue. I have to say this JPlay (using iOS version, also available for Android) is quite good and looks like it borrowed the UI/UX from ROON, albeit more limited feature set. It has a 14 day trial then about $50 US/year, a third of the cost of yearly ROON which to me is more reasonable. Sound-wise it’s fantastic, imo.

Anyone else know of this and use it?

IMG_0269.png

2. mobiaus

mobiaus New Member

I agree with your thinking! While Roon sets a very high bar, the monthly subscription cost and requirement of a standalone core quickly increases the sticker price. Similarly, I stumbled across JPlay and applaud the logic of its use of UPnP protocol to allow different devices to act as the music server. The fact that it integrates my own music files with both Qobuz and Tidal makes it very 'Roon like' and while JPlay lacks much of the DSP functions of Roon, these were not features on my must have list. What I would like to hear is the experience of other forum members on their use of either the A6 or A8 as a UpnP server. Is it seamless, does it support gapless playback, does it synch to the first track of the playlist?