It's decisions time for Zidoo - How to future proof your devices

Discussion in 'General Development' started by nikos_a, Feb 8, 2017.

1. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

With the release of Kodi 17 and with new API standards providing full passthough, Zidoo had to decide how to proceed from now on. I am explaining this:

The internet is full of Chinese boxes that are advertised as 4k, 3D etc etc. However, the android used is patched to the death, not following any standards. As a result, you don't get HD audio support, you don't get other features like KODI 17 passthrough or multi-channel support etc. After 6 months, the manufacturer focus on another product and the buyers are stuck with old, obsolete software.

Zidoo had to decide how to differ from those 'cheap' boxes. Do you want to keep using Kodi fork? This doesn't guarantee problem-free KODI and we saw it recently with ZDMC having issues with HD audio in x9s. Wouldn't it be better to have a "clean" Android and flawless Kodi 17 use? With everything except 3D, since they do not support it. All you have to do is to have your excellent player (so we can have 3D) side-by-side with official Kodi 17.

See the example of Xiaomi Mi Box. Cheap, excellent Kodi 17 support with passthrough, 4k netflix at 70$. Get this as example. I see Zidoo customers asking for ZDMC 17. I don't want ZDMC 17. I want Official Kodi 17 and its future versions to run flawlessly in Zidoo boxes, with passthrough working, with no out-of-sync audio etc. This will distinguish Zidoo from cheap Chinese boxes.

I would really like to know what Zidoo will do.

cyber7 likes this.
  2. Dairy_Farmer

Dairy_Farmer Member

I would also like to see a "basic" firmware option in addition to the "official" version. My X9S is already pretty slim, but there are apps that I could do without.

Also there are many problems with apps seeing the X9S as rooted when it is not. I am not sure if it is the presence of SU folder or what. Ship the firmware/device as completely unrooted and give the users the option to root it themselves.

cyber7 likes this.
  3. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

I agree with that. I even mentioned a few weeks ago that they can even release two firmwares. A "clean" one that is free of any code/apps/whatever that can cause the machine to be called "rooted" and one that is free to root.

cyber7 likes this.
  4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah. i agree. i'd take a clean minimal by the book android anytime. like android + zidoo interface. DONE!
    we may see a android 7 official api on x9s ( speculation) . but that's probably as far zidoo will go ( speculation again ). They still like to work on there pet project, zidoo media center. So there is no telling what impact zidoo player/zidoo custom settings has on official android api. ( for passtrough. autorefresh rate. 3D. DVD menu etc.etc.etc.)

cyber7 likes this.