Is SSD necessary?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by n8wrl, Mar 27, 2024.

Tags:
  1. n8wrl

n8wrl New Member

I see I can install an SSD in the bottom of the unit, up to 4TB, presumably to copy my music to the device itself.

All my music is on my NAS and PlexAmp works just fine, so I doubt I'll be copying anything to the A8.

Is there any other reason I would need the SSD? App and data storage maybe?

Thank you!

-Brian

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

No.
    It's just for those who don't have a NAS and do not want to / cannot use external USB drives.

3. Another good reason for local SSD is if the Eversolo for whatever reason is only running on WiFi and there's no ethernet connected.

Long ago, I found streaming hi-res audio (i.e. 24-bit 48 khz and above) over wifi from the NAS was problematic. Lots of drop outs and spinning wheels. I now have all of my devices, except for a couple of SONOS endpoints, on ethernet.

If the A8 was not, then I would likely load an SSD with all the high-res only files and play those back locally. This is a good option to have.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  4. n8wrl

n8wrl New Member

Thank you!

5. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Right from day 1 I opted for a 4TB SSD installed in my eversolo instead of networking it to my NAS or connecting external USB drives. Yes, it was a personal choice based more on convenience that anything else. Having all my digital music except DCC and DAT available from one box kind of appealed to me. Does it matter or make a difference to sound quality or the speed of access to my music? I honestly can't say, but however I can appreciate the points of view expressed by others regarding potential networking issues that might compromise performance as per what @Signal to Noise encountered.

Signal to Noise likes this.
  6. benma

benma Member

If you will install SSD drive into your A8, you will not be able to share its content with other devices in your network (if you have such devices). I'm sharing my NAS with two systems in different rooms.