I cant get PCM multi channel sound from ZIDOO X6 Pro

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by TPD, Aug 16, 2016.

1. TPD

TPD New Member

I have recently purchased a ZIDDO X6 pro box specifically as a Kodi media player and am having difficulty setting up the sound settings. Please note I am relatively new to all this so forgive me if I ask a stupid question, but any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Ultimately I wish to set the sound settings to give the optimum sound for my movie collection but not have to tweak it every time I watch a different file type. I have the Zidoo plugged in to a Denon AVRX2200 via HDMI and have a collection of video files encoded in ACC 5.1, AC3 and DTS. I only have a 5.1 speaker set up and don’t have any videos encoded with HD audio so that’s not an issue.

After reading a number of forums I understand that ACC5.1 (which are the majority of my files) cannot be decoded by my receiver and as such I expected to turn off passthrough in Kodi and set the Ziddo sound settings to PCM and therefore let the Zidoo do all the sound decoding and the received just receive multi channel input. Therefore getting 5.1 sound from all file types without having to mess around with the sound settings.

However when I do this rather than the receiver state the input in ‘multi channel’, as it does when the PS4 is selected to PCM, it states ‘Dolby surround’, which is the default for upmixing stereo to 5.1. Therefore I am assuming that the receive it not receiving actual 5.1 inputs but instead stereo inputs??
    So my questions are:
    • Is my understanding correct? i.e. should the ZIDOO box be transmitting 5.1 multi channel PCM sound to the receiver and is this the best setting to use?
    • What am I doing wrong?
    • And (if the answer to the first two is yes, and nothing) then how can I tell if my Zidoo player is broken?
    Thanks

2. grummel2005

grummel2005 Well-Known Member

are you having the problems with the installed ZDMC or with self installed KODI?

Anton Bernd likes this.
  3. TPD

TPD New Member

I am using the preinstalled ZDMC at the moment.

4. Syaoran

Syaoran New Member

I had a lot of issues with Passthrough as well, using an Onkyo HT-R693 receiver. I would guess that it is a software issue within the current firmware.