How to tell a file is properly identified and processed as Dolby Vision (using LLDV)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by afss, Sep 20, 2020.

1. afss

afss Member

Hello everybody,

I am a happy new owner of an Z10 pro, coming from an X9S and Z9S. So far, very happy with the improvements on this generation.

I have an HDfury device and configured LLDV (yes, brightness and contrast levels are off, but I was able to adjust them on a custom position on my JVC projector). So, all video files play as DV (4:2:2 12bit) and it all works really well.

I have been trying to convert some DV UHD-DV blu rays to MKV (using MakeMKV), but I could not find anywhere the indication that the file being played is recognized as DV. With LLDV set, the output is always indicated as DV regardless of the file/resolution type.

Please, is there a place to see how the file is being recognized ? I would like to confirm my DV MKV conversions are working properly.

Thank you all !

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Hi, if it is a MEL title you are probably getting some sort of Dolby Vision (probably not correct colours though) if it is a FEL title you are just getting HDR10 base layer.

3. afss

afss Member

Thanks for the reply - is there a way to understand what is going on in terms of DV MKV playback ? Let's say I am not sure if I have a MEL versus a FEL file - Is there anywhere during playback, a place/screen we check on what the player is doing ?

4. cucnz

cucnz Member

i saw on another forum Makemkv i think ,that if you look at the main vid file while its up in MAkemkv itll show dobly vision info in brackets

5. afss

afss Member

Thanks for the reply. My question is if there is a way to identify a DV file on the Zidoo itself - For example, I also have an OPPO 203, and when the player recognizes the file as DV capable, it indicates it so in one of the display info windows. I am not talking about the HDMI output, which may be always DV if you use LLDV, for instance.

I am concerned we may be thinking a given DV UHD bluray (or file) was sucessfully converted with MakeMKV and/or TSmuxer, but the player (due to firmware limitations at this point), may not be triggering true DV but using HDR10 instead.

Thanks again for the replies.