How to preserve album art, wired USB transfer from PC

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Eyestrain, Nov 8, 2023.

1. Eyestrain

Eyestrain New Member

New owner, first time transfer of entire music library from PC to DMP-A6's optional SSD via portable HD (reason for wired is that I'm unable to match the wi-fi network of the PC to that used by the A6). I use Media Monkey (old school, I know) for organizing my collection on the PC. Media Monkey allows copying of library content to an external drive. I've seen and followed advice to copy all album art to the same DMP SSD folder which is to contain the song files. Doing this (a copy of a separate Album Art folder on the PC; tried both the entire folder and then just the images w/o the folder itself since I wasn't sure if it made a difference) and transferring over the song files resulted in a great majority of missing album art in the DMP library. This may be the result of faulty tagging within the Music Monkey app or I may have erred in the tagging myself during use. Because I've made sure to add at least the front cover images (I believe DMP supports ,jpg & ,png images) individually to each of the Windows Music Library/Album folders, the following worked better for me. I'm new enough at this to not be sure that removing all of the first attempt from the DMP SSD is the easiest way to correct the problem but this is what I did after a day of trying to get the first attempt to a reasonable state. I don't know how many years it would take me to manually change artwork for most of my 9500+ tracks. I didn't care to attempt it. I found that copying the PC's library directly from the Windows file system (Windows Explorer) onto the portable HD then into the DMP (w/o a separate copy of that Album Art folder copied) yielded perfect results. Covers are all there, no hunting. I do not know if the missing artwork of the Music Monkey in-app copying method might be characteristic of other PC music handlers/players. But, if your system creates a similar problem for you, you might try copying directly from the Windows file system instead.

Jjb067 likes this.
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It could be Media Monkey makes some assumptions where the album art must reside in respect to the audio files...
    Anyway, you don't need any fancy software to transfer the files to the A6, just as you did last: copy all the tracks of an album inside one folder, along with the folder.jpg / front.jpg / cover.jpg (I believe any of these should work, I just happen to prefer folder.jpg...) is a good practice and should work for almost every player out in the wild.

To keep things as clean (and as easy to update) as possible, a structure like: folder with the initial letter => a folder for each ARTIST beginning with such letter => a folder for each ALBUM of such artist => all tracks of such album + cover-art image, e.g.: P => Pink Floyd => The Wall => all track files + folder.jpg; will also help for browsing by folder; quickly identifying new / missing files; and backup purposes.

If you also (like me...) keep every CD / Album as a single FLAC file + CUE you can also embed the album art inside the FLAC file, to have less files to take care of, but this is a detail.
    Moreover, one-filers could also help for gapless playback, to some extent, shall the player struggle with it...

3. Eyestrain

Eyestrain New Member

Appreciate your response, Nutul. I failed to clarify, as you've done so well, that it's advisable to order your Windows folders in a hierarchical way. Thanks for that.

Nutul likes this.
  4. Dave123

Dave123 Member

I am yet to get confirmation from Eversolo that embedded artwork is NOT supported (my tests seem to show it is NOT).

IT IS when I stream media from my NAS - even mixed files in the same folder with mixed artwork.

While I agree it is better to structure albums into separate folders as much as possible, I refuse to use cover.jpg/folder.jpg in separate files.
    This approach means you must be careful to keep artwork files with media files if they are moved, and does not allow for mixed tracks with different artwork in the same folder.

If other media players support embedded artwork in media files (like Mediamonkey say), the Eversolo software should.

5. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

It is, ALL my images are embedded with not a jpg anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Nutul likes this.