Help installing Plex Media Server

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X8' started by Bert08, May 2, 2017.

1. Bert08

Bert08 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just received my new X8 and part of the purchase has been because I wanted a small Media Server.

I tried to search Plex Media Server on the Play Store but I didn't find it, later discovering that it isn't compatible with my device. I tried to download some older apk's but they won't install.

Could someone help me in this process? I read of other users who use this media server with Zidoo, but I didn't understand how to make it work.

Thanks

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well. Plex media server usually installs on a NAS tipe PC that has the media( locally or in cloud). Then you install plex for android on the box and play the streamed content from PLEX media server. Decoding is being done by the PLEX server on the nas PC, I don't really see the benefit on getting plex on this box.

If you want to play local contend with attached HDD, i suggest sticking to zdmc/zidoo media center/ kodi 17.1(not yet perfect),

P.S. you also have to pay for plex. It's not a free service

3. Bert08

Bert08 New Member

HaoSs, thanks for your reply.
    I wanted to use X8 as Media Server so that it could be always turned on 24/7 and I could access my media from all my devices. Right now I'm achieving this by running Kodi 17 on my regular desktop Mac, using UPnP to access the desired media on other devices. But this routine requires the Mac to be on and Kodi app launched. My goal is to substitute the Mac desktop with the less power consuming and operations requiring Zidoo with an external HDD connected to it.

If I understand correctly Plex Server is free and Plex client on Android is paid, but I need only the server, I'm using other clients (such as Kodi or Infusion) on the devices. The feature that interest me most is the possibility of transcoding

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i think it can be done using openwrt and the already present DLNA server, but more research is needed on this. i never tried it myself