HDR blinding on Z1000 Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by vinylfilmaholic, Oct 7, 2023.

1. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic New Member

Hi there, I’m new to the forum. I have a question. I’m running my Z1000 Pro into my LG C2 TV and whenever I watch a film with just HDR10, I find the film unnaturally bright. Also occasionally I find that dark scenes get really crushed and you can’t see anything (for instance, in No Country for Old Men when Llewelyn finds the money in the desert I don’t remember it being that dark.) I also have a Panasonic UB820 4K player and HDR looks great on that and not unnatural at all.

I’m just wondering if there are any settings I should be switching on the Zidoo or what have you?

thanks in advance!

2. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Assuming you have it set to Auto, try experimenting with the VS10 Settings.
    I found VS10 for DV and HDR works very well with my OLED (Panasonic).

Also, you may like to try TV Led, rather than Player Led in the Settings.

3. vinylfilmaholic

Thank you, I’ll give that a shot. I watched a 1080p flick on there earlier called “A Perfect Getaway” and even that looked blinding at times. I tweaked some stuff in the “picture parameters” and it looked much “healthier” but still not perfect.

4. vinylfilmaholic

So I tried those settings on and now the movies are stuttering or dropping frames. I should mention that I’m running these off a HDD that I put in the player. I tried “How to Train Your Dragon 2” since animated movies are so colorful and it still looked a little unnatural as well. I’m not sure, maybe the Zidoo life isn’t for me?

5. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Make sure you set the Zidoo to Limited/Low output and check the your OLED is set to the same. Re HDR, I leave mine set at Auto.

6. vinylfilmaholic

Where would those settings be on the Zidoo and my TV?

7. Oldpainless

Zidoo - Display Settings - Color Settings - HDMI Color Range - 16-235.

Every TV maker is different. On my LG it's Picture Mode settings - Picture Option - Black Level - Low.

8. vinylfilmaholic

Tried it and that didn’t look great either. I like those deep blacks I just feel like they can be too crushing sometimes.

9. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

It really sounds like there is something amiss with your Settings if an internal HDD is giving you stuttering problems (unless there is an issue with the HDD itself being faulty or the maybe the quality of the rip you are playing; especially if it was downloaded and not ripped by you personally).

Start with the Recommended Settings thread here and go from there:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...er-useful-stuff-for-rtd-1619dr-players.82695/

10. Oldpainless

I'm sure you have either had the display calibrated, or eyeballed it using test patterns to adjust brightness/black levels, so beyond the settings I've suggested, I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.

All I can say is that there is a mismatch somewhere. I was one of the 1st beta testers for the programmer from France who wrote the integration code for Dsplayer for Windows, and for me, I prefer my Zidoo (as per my config) hands down.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023